9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2014 7:09 PM by mikebeargie

Local Information

dvblystone

Hello everyone!

This will be my first DevCon and luckly it is in my home town. That being said, if you need any advice on activities or places to eat or anything San Antonio related, drop me a line.

Daniel

• 1. Re: Local Information
          mikebeargie

Actually that would be quite useful. With the exception of going to six flags on Friday, and staying at the riverwalk the Saturday before, I have no idea really what to do.

Since it's your hometown, what are the three "must see" things, and the three "must eat" restaurants. Also, is a stop to "whataburger" worth it for one of us northerners?

I know filemaker has posted some helpful videos from a local person as well, so I was planning to check some of those places out.

• 2. Re: Local Information
            dvblystone

What-A-Burger is a definite must. I would put not just the Alamo but all of Alamo Plaza on a must see list. The Riverwalk is a big one and The Institute of Texan Cultures. There are more must see's than that but in the limited time I would put those on my top three and they are all rather close to each other. Within 4 miles of one another.

Places to eat. What-A-Burger is good but you have to eat at Mi Tierra and Shilo's Both are downtown and well worth it! The only thing off the tourist path would be just about any BBQ place you come across. I will get together a list of places both downtown and by the JW Marriott that are uniquely texas and post it here by Friday the 20th.

I hope to see you at DevCon!

Daniel

• 3. Re: Local Information

Yes, check out the videos here:  http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=devcon+2014+clay+maeckel  Clay Maeckel (Chief Architect at FileMaker) is from San Antonio. He put out some fun tips about what to wear, places to go, and good restaurants.

• 4. Re: Local Information
                fmpros

An absolute MUST is Chama Gaucha Brazilian Steakhouse, 18318 Sonterra Pl., San Antonio, TX 78258, off of loop 1604. Fantastic salad bar and unbelievable food!

If you have the time there is Six Flags and Sea World close by. 

Up 35 towards Austin is New Braunfels, my hometown, and famous for our German foods and Schlitterbahn Water Park.

Try to hit historic Gruene (pronounced Green), now part of New Braunfels.  Gruene has the historic Gruene Dance Hall where most of the great country artists have played.  It's right next to the Gristmill, an excellent restaurant build in an old mill building on the edge and overlooking the Guadalupe River, very nice for a great meal and then relax with the river, great sunset and a martini.

For great traditional foods, a little pricey but excellent atmosphere and even better food is the Grey Moss Inn in Helotes, 19010 Scenic Loop Rd, Helotes, TX 78023.

Well, too many to list, so many great restaurants, night clubs and night life; definitely spend time at the River Walk. 

Also a great restaurant on top of the Tower of the Americas, revolving with a fantastic view of the entire area.

And, of course, for the adventurous.....Austin.  Music, clubs, whew!......

William

Shoot, almost forgot....for the best BBQ chicken, ribs, turkey, brisket, beans, corn.......absolutely NOTHING better than Rudy's.  Only a few around, one in Selma, one in Leon Springs, a couple of others.  Can't go wrong here.

• 5. Re: Local Information
                  dvblystone

The Gristmill has the BEST Chicken Fried Steak around!

• 6. Re: Local Information
                    fmpros

And pepper filet, also awesome broccoli!!....

• 7. Re: Local Information
                      andersmonsen

While Whataburger is a decent chain burger place, if you want to experience the best local burger in San Antonio, check out Chris Madrids, which is five miles from downtown. Other local restaurants I'd recommend are Lulu's (Shaq's favorite San Antonio restaurant, and near downtown). The Luxury on the Riverwalk in the Museum Reach area is new and getting rave reviews.

The Pearl Brewery has several good restaurants, and you can walk or take a river taxi up there, going through a lock in the river.

There are good German and Mexican restaurants in the King William District, or Southtown, including the Blue Star, Beethovens, and Rosarios.

There are several new brew pubs, including one on the way to Fiesta Six Flags - Freetail.

Restaurants abound along the Riverwalk.

--

Anders

• 8. Re: Local Information
                        mikebeargie

Thanks for the info! Brewpubs are definitely up my alley so I'll be sure to check them out.

• 9. Re: Local Information
                          mikebeargie

Thanks everyone for all of the options, I'll definitely be eating well when I'm there.