5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 9:20 AM by ch0c0halic

How to implement existing SSL certificate in FMS 13 environment

olafseifert

This is how I implemented an existing Thawte SSL 123 Domain Validation certificate into our FileMaker Server 13 environment:

1. Determine if the certificate "nameOfCertificate.cer" and the private key "nameOfPrivateKey.key" are in PEM-format. When you are able to open them in TextEdit and they start with „—— BEGIN …“, they are in PEM-format. Otherwise they have to be converted in Terminal with the openssl command.
      2. Duplicate the private key file "nameOfPrivateKey.key" .
      3. Rename the duplicate of the private key file to „serverKey.pem
      4. Move „serverKey.pem“ to /Library/FileMaker Server/CStore
      5. In Terminal run the command
        fmsadmin certificate import /Path/To/Certificate/nameOfCertificate.cer
        At /Library/FileMaker Server/CStore a file „serverCustom.pem“ is generated - this is the FMS 13’s new certificate file
      6. Check owner/group/permissions of new files in /Library/FileMaker Server/CStore, inherit as appropriate from enclosing folder …/CStore.
      7. Restart the machine
      8. Start the FMS 13 Deployment assistant (Just to be sure, all the config files will be updated correctly)

About point 6:

When I first restarted the machine without correcting the permissions (all have to be in ownership of user fmserver), FMS 13 did not come up. In Console I got an error in syslog:

localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.filemaker.fms[66]): getpwnam("fmserver") failed

You may start FMS 13 manually using this Terminal command:

sudo launchctl start com.filemaker.fms

After correcting the privileges and another reboot of the computer, FMS 13 came up again.

Maybe this summary can be helpful for someone.

Best regards,

Olaf