3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 9:48 AM by wimdecorte

Permanent storage of image for container

tjarvis

Hi

I am working on a database (FM-13) that was created by another developer and has since moved on. All we had when he left were Admin rights, no Developer password was turned over or passdown was done.

He had a container that was filled by by an image and then printed after results of a "Find". Example: Signature on completion certificates. I have made it work on a test copy of the database but when I maked the change in the master database the new image does not stay permanently store in global container field, Is deleted when FM is closed. I made sure the "Manage Container" was set to permanent. Unchanged signature containers function as created. If I put the old one bad it works

Is this because on the master database I only have admin rights or is the global signature field missing something?

Tom J.

• 1. Re: Permanent storage of image for container
          Mike_Mitchell

A global field will retain whatever value it had when the file was last closed in a non-hosted (local) environment. In order to make the value "stick", you'll need to unhost the file from FileMaker Server, insert your desired value, and then re-host the file.

An alternative would be to create a parallel non-global field and then insert the field's value into the global using a script on file startup.

HTH

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Permanent storage of image for container
            tjarvis

Thanks, I think that will work.  Can I unhost from the server in the master database or do I have to have access to the server?

Tom j

• 3. Re: Permanent storage of image for container
              wimdecorte

You need access to the admin console to unhost a file.

BUT; I would still not recommend that you rely on setting the global while in single-user and then host it again.  Do as Mike suggest and store the value in a 1-record settings table and load it into a global as part of the OnOpen routine.  Much more robust and it will survie if the file gets cloned at some point (globals lose their values when cloning)