6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 1:07 PM by sprynmd

Moving a record up and down on the same table

josetorre162

hello,

I have a table in filemaker pro 13 advance, I was wondering if I can move a record up or down on the same table.

Also, can I insert a record say right in between other records?

If it is possible to any one of this questions, can you please instruct me how to do this. I will appreciated. Thank you.

Jose

• 1. Re: Moving a record up and down on the same table
          wimdecorte

records really only have one order: creation order.

You can however change how they are displayed to the user by sorting them.  Once sorted you can move a record up or down by changing the value of the field that the records are sorted on...

• 2. Re: Moving a record up and down on the same table
            ChadAdams

Hi Jose,

In FileMaker the default placement for records are in their creation order (new records go to the bottom of the list).  However FileMaker offers you many options for sorting the records so they display in the order you would like to see them.

To do what you want, you'd have to have a field used for sorting (probably a number field).  You would modify the number field as needed to either move a record up or down, or insert a record in the middle of other records.

If you could provide more info about whether you are viewing records in a portal or a list view or something else, then we can provide some methods for how to get what you are looking for.

Hope that helps,

Chad

• 3. Re: Moving a record up and down on the same table
              josetorre162

Hello Chad,

I am viewing the table in browse mode.

With this table I kind of want to do something like in excel where I can move rows up or down or insert row any where.

Thank you for your advise.

jose

• 4. Re: Moving a record up and down on the same table
                keywords

You can certainly do what you say, and technique to use is sorting. The method Chad suggests is as good as any: create a sort field; set the table to sort by that field; fill it with numbers in your chosen order and the table will sort accordingly. If you then want to move a single record to a new position in the table, change its number.

• 5. Re: Moving a record up and down on the same table
                  josetorre162

OK, that makes sense, I tried it and it did work.

Thank you for helping.

jose

• 6. Re: Moving a record up and down on the same table
                    sprynmd

A technique I used which my users like:

• Create a sort field which is serialized 1,2,3,... (this field is usually hidden but could be visible and editable by the user).

• Put an up and down button on each record (and optionally a first and last button).

• On the "up" button, run a script which sets the current record sort field to the current value - 1.5.  Assuming the records are serialized, this puts it before the prevous record.  The script then forces a sort by that field and immediately re-serializes that field in all records to all integers again.

• The down arrow button performs similarly except it addes 1.5 to the current sort field.

• The other two optional buttons are "first" and "last" buttons where the script will set the current sort field to zero or a large number greater than the number of records, then resort/reserialize.  That will move the current record to the top or the bottom.

• If you choose to make the sort field visible, the user can type a specific number to directly move it to the desired spot.

A possible downside to this approach is that the re-serializing will touch the modification date/time on each record.  If this is undesireable, you might try a formula approach using fractional sort values where you examine the adjacent value and pick a fraction midway between it and its next neighbor.

...Mike