5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 4:16 PM by techt

ghost records and corruption

PeterWindle

Hello everone,

I have a client who has experienced some corruptions in the past, resulting in records appearing with nothing but question marks. Records that just won't delete.

I have previously been through MANY steps to imporove/remove and repair the issue and for short periods of time, it settles down.

A few months ago, they upgraded to Server 13 and all the workstations are also upgraded.

Now since then, the problem seems to have reared it's ugly head again, this time, with "blank" records- no values in ANY of the fields at all. If you search for a particular record ID, it will show in the found records results, but there is just nothing in the record.

I've been considering building a new table in a new file with the same fields, import the data into it and use the data-separation method to change the current file to use the new table... but FileMaker have indicated previously that they don't recommend data separation...

The last time I spoke to FileMaker tech support the suggestion was to "re-build" the solution, as in start from scratch and create new file, new tables, new fields, new layouts etc, which is just an insane suggestion.

Now, there are iOS devices connected via WAN, as well as desktops and it would seem that the records that are dissapearing are ones entered on the iOS device.

Also, I have an on timer script that activates on iOS on the main data entry layout that commits the record after a few minutes, which works ok...

What I realy want to know is are there any other tools/utilities that may help clean up and fix this problem. I've done the usual things, compressing the file, recovering the file, even exporting the data and re-importing after doing the save as clone, compressing the clone etc... problem seems to come back after a period of time.

Any suggestions on how to fix this without re-building the whole thing?

• 1. Re: ghost records and corruption
          Malcolm

Have you looked at Winfried’s site: http://fmdiff.com/fm/recordindex.html.

He also runs a service to repair files http://fmdiff.com/repairs.html?

Malcolm

• 2. Re: ghost records and corruption
            gdurniak

Did the Recover Log show anything ?

Records dissappear when the index is corrupt,  or the internal record ID's get scrambled

see:   http://www.fileshoppe.com/recover.htm

I saw it quite often in FileMaker 9,  but not in 11,  and not yet in 13

It is always possible, that you found a new iOS bug

I've complained to FileMaker in the past, but they can't fix this, unless it is repeatable. See if you can make it happen

Data separation might help, but corruption in any one file can disrupt the whole solution anyway. Perhaps a new table, in the same file ?

greg

> A few months ago, they upgraded to Server 13 and all the workstations are also upgraded.

Now since then, the problem seems to have reared it's ugly head again, this time, with "blank" records- no values in ANY of the fields at all. If you search for a particular record ID, it will show in the found records results, but there is just nothing in the record.

Now, there are iOS devices connected via WAN, as well as desktops and it would seem that the records that are dissapearing are ones entered on the iOS device.

I've done the usual things, compressing the file, recovering the file, even exporting the data and re-importing after doing the save as clone, compressing the clone etc...

• 3. Re: ghost records and corruption
              techt

What does the data look like after exporting to another file? I'd try FMP, but XLS might yield different results. What about exporting and then if the data is clean, deleting all records and importing?

HTH,

TT

• 4. Re: ghost records and corruption
                PeterWindle

Exporting the records as .mer then importing them again cleans the data. The only issue is, the original corruption comes back after a period of time... does not matter any more, my client has decided to move away from filemaker

• 5. Re: ghost records and corruption
                  techt

I'm sorry to hear that. If you wanted to give it a shot, export all tables, save a clone of the db, open and save that file as compacted, then open that copy and reload all tables. Again, sorry that they didn't stay with you.

TT