8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2014 11:17 AM by PSI

Cloud computing request

MicheleOlson

I have a request from a client for information about moving FileMaker server to a terminal server in the "cloud". They have a local technology company that is bidding to move all of their server needs to the Cloud on virtual servers. Their inhouse tech staff obviously wants to remove that portion of work from the onsite location.

"It would be housed on a Windows 2013 virtual server" which would be set up by the tech company.

It appears to me that this - if set up correctly - would not be much different from them having their local server other than I expect a speed delay, but I'm not familiar with this and appreciate any thoughts and advice others can give.

In terms of their databases needing updates, more programming, reports etc, would this set up be more difficult for a developer?

I plan to check with the tech company to see if they have any other clients hosting FM databases in this fashion and how familiar the tech company is with FM.

Another - in my mind more sure option for FM - would be to host the databases with one of the FileMaker Hosting companies.

I appreciate any advice offered.

Michele

• 1. Re: Cloud computing request
          mikebeargie

We're going to need more details on your database to make any specific recommendations. You didn't even list what version of FM you are using. how many files? how many users? how much drive space? etc...

If you have relatively small databases or infrequent use, then hosting would definitely be a good option, and as cheap or cheaper than leasing your own cloud server.

If you need something more dedicated, than you need to make sure the cloud server meets the technical specifications of the filemaker version you currently have (google filemaker server __ tech specs and you'll find them).

Moving from a LAN to a WAN (cloud) definitely will result in a net performance loss for your users. How good your files are optimized for the WAN will determine how much. But if you have a ton of report building and calculations, or large data sets, the effect will definitely be noticed.

In terms of developer access, usually a cloud server is more accessible to outside developers, as a VPN/remote connection into your LAN is no longer needed. The virtual server is already setup for remote access.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cloud computing request
            PSI

Make sure they use Windows 2013 Standard Edition. Also make sure there is a minimum of 16 GB memory. As with local servers, I install FM Server in it's default location and have other drives for the databases.

They should setup a point to point VPN and make sure they have a really fast internet connection. If they skimp it will be slow and they will pay for it in lost production.A big

I am moving a pretty complicated large record set 40- 50 user system to a setup like this. We are not using terminal services. We are in the testing phase and so far it's very fast. We are moving from FMS 11 to FMS 13 although most of the workstations will be running FM 12 until they upgrade.

• 3. Re: Cloud computing request
              PSI

Sorry, my last post wasn't complete...hit some key that posted it...

the system i am moving doesn't use terminal services and i would test it without that first. if it's fast enough then you don't need the additional layer.

John

• 4. Re: Cloud computing request
                wimdecorte

Michele Olson wrote:

moving FileMaker server to a terminal server in the "cloud"

That's two different things.  A terminal server is for client desktops/client applications, so that one would be running FMP, not FMS.  FMS needs its own server.

There's also no Windows Server 2013.  The lastest is 2012 R2.  R2 is not officially supported for FMS13, the original 2012 version is.

If this is FMS12, then stick with Windows 2008 R2.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Cloud computing request
                  MicheleOlson

Thanks for all the replies. I definitely appreciate the added information.

Wim - thanks for clarification on the difference between terminal server and needing a separate FM server. I knew that, but was trying to replicate the client's initial message to me.

There are 8 fmp.12 databases used by the client. The files are currently served using FileMaker Server 12. They are a Windows shop. The files are not particularly large. The biggest is 42.6 Mb, the smallest is 2.7 Mb. Of the 8, 5 are continually open and in use by multiple staff members - up to 5 at a time - throughout the day.

Michele

• 6. Re: Cloud computing request
                    PSI

Not to contradict Wim but the tech specs for FMS 13 show compatibality with Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition (64-bit).  I do have FMS 13 on a windows 2012 R2 server and it works perfectly.

John

• 7. Re: Cloud computing request
                      wimdecorte

PSI wrote:

Not to contradict Wim but the tech specs for FMS 13 show compatibality with Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition (64-bit).  I do have FMS 13 on a windows 2012 R2 server and it works perfectly.

John

Michele specified that she is running FMS 12, not 13.

And I did not say that FMS13 did not run on 2012 R2, just that it is not supported, which will make all the difference if you need to call FMI for support.

• 8. Re: Cloud computing request
                        PSI

wimdecorte wrote:

PSI wrote:

John

Michele specified that she is running FMS 12, not 13.

And I did not say that FMS13 did not run on 2012 R2, just that it is not supported, which will make all the difference if you need to call FMI for support.

Sorry for the confusion...much for multi-tasking :-)

John