AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cloud computing request

Question asked by MicheleOlson on Jun 27, 2014
Latest reply on Jun 27, 2014 by PSI

I have a request from a client for information about moving FileMaker server to a terminal server in the "cloud". They have a local technology company that is bidding to move all of their server needs to the Cloud on virtual servers. Their inhouse tech staff obviously wants to remove that portion of work from the onsite location.

"It would be housed on a Windows 2013 virtual server" which would be set up by the tech company.

It appears to me that this - if set up correctly - would not be much different from them having their local server other than I expect a speed delay, but I'm not familiar with this and appreciate any thoughts and advice others can give.

In terms of their databases needing updates, more programming, reports etc, would this set up be more difficult for a developer?

I plan to check with the tech company to see if they have any other clients hosting FM databases in this fashion and how familiar the tech company is with FM.

Another - in my mind more sure option for FM - would be to host the databases with one of the FileMaker Hosting companies.

I appreciate any advice offered.

Michele

Outcomes