3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2014 11:46 AM by Datagrace

Using Related files and Deleting

mbenseman

Hi

I have a FM Solution lodged on a server, and am trying to develop a FM Go solution for iPhone which will have limited syncing options.

What I have done which I thought was cool, was have a table on the Deployed Solution in FM Go, which is related to an external table on the server, using a one to one relationship basedon a unique key. The idea is that when online I can sync these two tables.

Seems to be reasonably good solution but heres one little catch. In the relationship box I have ticked both delete options...you know, delete record in this table when record in other table is deleted. So when I am online, and I delete a file from the FM Go table, bam it disappears off the server table. But the opposite does not occur....delete it from the server table and it remains in the FM Go table.

Can anyone explain to me why the behaviour is not symmetrical...am I doing something wrong.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Using Related files and Deleting
          wimdecorte

When you delete a record in the server table, do you do that from FM Go or from somewhere else?

• 2. Re: Using Related files and Deleting
            Stephen Huston

What Wim asked, and...

Are the relationships similarly set for deletion in the relationship graph of the file on the server, or just in the local file on Go?

• 3. Re: Using Related files and Deleting
              Datagrace

It's not symetrical because the server doesn't know where the Go file is. In other words, the mobile file could live on more than one device, so there's no realistic way for a mobile file, or really any client, to act as an external data source for a hosted file. Hence Wim and Stephen's questions about where the deletions are defined.

I am confused about your terms. By 'file' do you mean 'record'? And by 'online' do you mean 'when there is a connection between the Go file and the hosted file'?

I cannot remember a single instance where I set up cascading deletes in both directions, so I am wondering what you are trying to accomplish.