Ok, so here it is;-
I have read several posts and help documents but still cannot access my database file from outside the local area network.
1. The Pro13 file is hosted on a Windows 7 PC on a local area network at my work place.
2. I can get access to the file on my Windows 8 laptop when I am within WiFi range of this network. This method uses the internal ip address of the host PC. As such, the file is available for remote access.
2. When at home, using the same laptop, I use the Open Remote option and type in, as the network filepath (having checked that the host PC is on and the file is open):-
fmnet:/the external ip address of the host PC/the file name
and click on "Open".
3. Filemaker comes back with the message "The file xxxxx could not be opened. Either the host is not available or the file is not available on that host".
4. I got the external ip address by using "whatsmyip.com" on the host PC.
Does the file need to be in Public Folders on the host?
Have I used the right ip address?
Is there something else I'm not doing?