3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2014 6:40 AM by ChadAdams

Continuing a Paused Script on Data Input from RFID Reader - ASCII Codes

lematelot

I currently run a solution where a script is paused awaiting entry from a user, then the user enters the data and presses the ENTER key (on the numeric keypad) to un-pause the script and do calculations, before creating a new record ready for the next data entry, and so on.

The script woks fine for the keyboard entry but now I want to add the ability to get data from an RFID reader to input over USB - essentially a keyboard emulation. The reader says you can add an ASCII code to the end of the data string, and I am using ASCII code 10 for the ENTER key.

The data is entering into the field without problems, but that ASCII code is not triggering the script to un-pause and do the next steps.

Am I using the correct ASCII code ? (I have also tried ASCII 13 - the RETURN key - and this does not work either.)

Any hints as to what I'm doing wrong ?

Filemaker 12, Mac.

• 1. Re: Continuing a Paused Script on Data Input from RFID Reader - ASCII Codes
          taylorsharpe

How are you unpausing and telling FileMaker to continue?  You can always capture keystrokes of any input and evaluate them to decide what to do including looking for ASCII 10 or 13 (or 9 for tab) depending on what you want to do.  Is the RFID sending multiple records/fields?  If so, push them into a global field and then parse them out with a script into the appropriate fields. 

• 2. Re: Continuing a Paused Script on Data Input from RFID Reader - ASCII Codes
            DavidZakary

The field that is getting the RFID info - is it set to go to the next object with the Enter and Return key? Check on the Inspector.

• 3. Re: Continuing a Paused Script on Data Input from RFID Reader - ASCII Codes
              ChadAdams

Hi Russell,

I've worked with a lot of scanners (though not an RFID scanner).  Most of the scanners I've worked with are basically seen by the computer as a "very fast keyboard" when it comes to the data being entered in the field.  I've done exactly what you are trying to do, but with barcode scanners.  Everytime it seems like it is a bit of trial and error to get the scanner setup correctly.  Typically I like to scan into a text editor during this setup time so I can easily see the exact characters that are being sent.

I'd start by scanning into a text editor and making sure the scanner is in fact passing through a return or enter character.  Then  once that is confirmed move on to troubleshooting FileMaker and making sure the field is setup as David suggests, or capturing the characters if needed as Taylor suggests.

Good luck,

Chad