14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2014 11:08 PM by user19752

Incremental Date Custom Function

Hudi

Hi and happy 4th to all.

I need some help creating a recursive custom function that will return an incremental list of dates.

Here's what I have so far. It's my fist attempt at a recursive function, up untli now I've been using the ones other have written. I'm hoping someone can tell me why so I can learn about recursive functions.

CFincrementDate ( startDate ; increment ; number_of_increments )

Case (

number_of_increments >1

; CFincrementDate ( startDate + increment & "¶" ; increment; number_of_increments -1 )

)

What I'd like to see is:

CFincrementDate ( 1/1/2014 ; 10 ; 3 )

1/1/2014

1/11/2014

1/22/2014

Thank you so much

• 1. Re: Incremental Date Custom Function
          ChadAdams

Looks to me like you just need an "exit" condition.  You currently have it checking to see if the increments are > 1 then recursivly call the function again, but you don't have it doing anything when the increments are not > 1.

Try this:

Case (

number_of_increments > 1 ;

CFincrementDate ( startDate + increment & "¶" ; increment ; number_of_increments -1 ) ;

startDate 

)

Disclaimer: I've not tested the above.  CF's are always a little bit of a mind warp for me :-)  I can never remember if this will produce:

1/1/2014

1/11/2014

1/21/2014

OR

1/21/2014

1/11/2014

1/1/2014

Chad

• 2. Re: Incremental Date Custom Function
            Hudi

Hi Chad,

Thank you for the quick reply.

At least now it's returnign something whereas before I was gettiing nothing.

But, it's adding the dates together and giving me one number instead of a list.

Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Incremental Date Custom Function
              Mike_Mitchell

Your list of dates is text. In order to add a number of days, you need to tell FileMaker two things: First, to parse the value as a date, and second, that you want to extract a particular value from the list. Example:

1/1/2014

1/11/2014

That's two values in a return delimited list. If you want to add 10 days to the second value, you need:

GetAsDate ( GetValue ( theList ; 2 )) + 10

Then you can do:

List ( theList ; GetAsDate ( GetValue ( theList ; 2 )) + 10 )

to get the next iteration.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Incremental Date Custom Function
                Hudi

Mike,

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly. I'm starting with just one date that I'd like to make into a list. So if I start on 1/1/2014 and have 3 10-day increments (1/1/2014 ; 10 ; 3 ) it will return this:

1/1/2014

1/11/2014

1/22/2014

Thanks

• 5. Re: Incremental Date Custom Function
                  ChadAdams

This probably isn't the most elegant way, but this seems to work:

Case (

startDate & ¶ & CFincrementDate ( GetAsDate ( startDate ) + increment ; increment ; number_of_increments - 1 ) ;

startDate

)

Chad

• 6. Re: Incremental Date Custom Function
                    Hudi

Chad,

Works great!

I put in bold what you changed from the previous answer. So Mike was right that we needed the GetAsDate function, when FM was giving us a number. And we needed to tell the function to start with the ::startDate. Cool. Thanks Chad and Mike!

Case (

startDate & ¶ & CFincrementDate ( GetAsDate ( startDate ) + increment ; increment ; number_of_increments - 1 ) ;

startDate

)

• 7. Re: Incremental Date Custom Function
                      ChadAdams

Ok, so this will probably seem weird, but I find it useful.

I've been working with FileMaker a long time, and my brain does well when thinking about scripts.  Sometimes when I'm trying to get a recursive custom function to work out right, I'll write a script to do the same thing then reverse engineer it into the custom function :-)

For example with your CF, it might look like this:

Script Name = RecursiveExample

Set Variable $startDate ; GetAsDate( GetValue ( Get( ScriptParameter ) ; 1 ) )

Set Variable $increment ; GetValue ( Get( ScriptParameter ) ; 2 )

Set Variable $numIncrements ; GetValue ( Get( ScriptParameter ) ; 3 )

#

IF $numIncrements > 1

Set Variable $$theResult ; Case( not IsEmpty ( $$theResult ) ; $$theResult & ¶ ) & $startDate

Perform Script "RecursiveExample" ; Parameter: $startDate + $increment & ¶ & $increment & ¶ & $numIncrements - 1

Else

Set Variable $$theResult ; Case( not IsEmpty ( $$theResult ) ; $$theResult & ¶ ) & $startDate

End IF

For some reason I can get my head around that much easier than I can the recursive function.  Maybe it is because I can see the scripts stacking up in the debugger window...I don't know.

Chad

Message was edited by: ChadAdams - Cleaned up some GetAsDate stuff that was only there because I was copy and pasting script step examples.

• 8. Re: Incremental Date Custom Function
                        beverly

That and Loop, Exit Loop and End Loop for the "recursive" part.

I almost prefer using Scripts & variables set by Let() and Loops if needed over Custom functions. Scripts are easy to print out, CustFns are not....

Beverly

• 9. Re: Incremental Date Custom Function
                          erolst

ChadAdams wrote:

For some reason I can get my head around that much easier than I can the recursive function.  Maybe it is because I can see the scripts stacking up in the debugger window...I don't know.

I find that Let () helps in this regard , since you can stack and calculate intermediate variables in a similar fashion. Here's another take:

CFincrementDate (startDate ; increment ; iterations ) =

List (

startDate ;

Case ( Iterations > 1 ; CFincrementDate ( startDate + increment ; increment ; Iterations - 1  ) )

)

though in this case Let() helps more with shortening the expression than actual readibility.

• 10. Re: Incremental Date Custom Function
                            ChadAdams

That and Loop, Exit Loop and End Loop for the "recursive" part.

I almost prefer using Scripts & variables set by Let() and Loops if needed over Custom functions. Scripts are easy to print out, CustFns are not....

Beverly

I agree! Scripts rule :-)

As for the recursive part of the example above, the script calls it self so no loops needed.  If I were solving the problem I'd totally use the loops as you suggest, but when trying to "script my way to a CF" performing the script from itself seems a more accurate metaphor.

Chad

• 11. Re: Incremental Date Custom Function
                              Mike_Mitchell

Additionally, scripts can be copied / imported without needing Advanced.

About the only real advantage CFs enjoy is incorporation into the calc engine.

• 12. Re: Incremental Date Custom Function
                                BruceRobertson

" in this case Let() helps more with shortening the expression..."

Hm.

But in this case - there was not Let() statement at all in your example.

• 13. Re: Incremental Date Custom Function
                                  erolst

BruceRobertson wrote:

" in this case Let() helps more with shortening the expression..."

Hm.

But in this case - there was not Let() statement at all in your example.

Good catch! I was just testing if you're all still awake …

This used to be

Let ( [

sd = startDate ;

inc = increment

] ;

List (

sd ;

Case ( Iterations > 1 ; CFincrementDate ( sd + inc ; inc ; Iterations - 1  ) )

)

)

I changed it and forgot to modify the text accordingly.

• 14. Re: Incremental Date Custom Function
                                    user19752

number_of_increments is limited up to 10000 in this CF.

It should be big enough, but for example changing it to 'tail recursion' like as first you wrote.

Case (

number_of_increments < 2 ;

dateList ;

CFincrementDate3 ( dateList & ¶ & GetAsDate ( RightValues ( dateList ; 1 ) ) + increment ; increment ; number_of_increments - 1 )

)

I changed name of first parameter as 'dateList', but of cource it can be a date.