7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2014 12:39 AM by jrenfrew

Popover automatically opens on layout enter

Kathy

I have two popover buttons on a layout that users can select.

When entering the layout, one of popovers will automatically open. I want to disable this behavior but so far I have had no luck.

I have tried setting up a script trigger on layout enter to "Close Popover' and cleared the tab order but neither has disabled this behavior.

Has anyone come across this odd behavior and found a workaround?

• 1. Re: Popover automatically opens on layout enter
          m.mcdonell

have you tried to setting the go to field to something not on the popover?

• 2. Re: Popover automatically opens on layout enter
            datastride

It is possible that the popover button is the first item in the tab order.

Try removing this item from the tab order.

#end

Peace, love & brown rice,

Morgan Jones

FileMaker + Web:  Design, Develop & Deploy

Certifications: FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13

Member: FileMaker Business Alliance

One Part Harmony <http://www.onepartharmony.com/>  

Austin, Texas • USA

512-422-0611

• 3. Re: Popover automatically opens on layout enter

Hi Kathy,

I am unable to replicate the behavior your describe (on Mac 10.9.3) and it makes no difference how I set the tab order for popovers or fields on them or outside of them.  I suspect something else is going on.  Can you provide your FM version/updater as well as your OS?  Are you on iOS?

Do you have FMPA so you can use debugger to see if anything else is triggering on that layout when entering it?  If you do not have Pro Advanced, check that there are no layout triggers ( Layouts > Layout Setup > Triggers tab ) with Go To Field [field on popover] or Go To Object [ the popover itself or a field on the popover with object name ].  Also set View > Show > Buttons and see if any other triggers on the layout (look for red *) are pointing to the popover to force it open.

Otherwise it would help to see your file. :-)

• 4. Re: Popover automatically opens on layout enter
                Kathy

Thanks for the suggestions!

The layout is a dashboard for finding record sets by inputting search criteria or value list selections. I had set up a script that clears field values on layout enter. Because those fields are contained in the popovers, it seems that it has to open the popover in order to clear the values using the 'Clear" script step. I changed it to Set Field instead and it no longer automatically pops up!

I am fairly new to FileMaker and have not considered using the script debugger. It is quite handy!

• 5. Re: Popover automatically opens on layout enter
                  keywords

You solved your own problem by following some sensible suggestions. Question is, why is it different with Set Field? The answer is, of course, that Clear requires the field to be actually present on the layout, whereas Set Field does not, so if the field is only on the popover FM has to open the popover to get to it. The other way you could perhaps have got around this is by adding a Commit step at the end of the script; that way, even though FM had to open the popover it would not be left open once the script completed.

• 6. Re: Popover automatically opens on layout enter
                    erolst

Kathy wrote:

I am fairly new to FileMaker and have not considered using the script debugger. It is quite handy!

Even more so if you combine it with the Data Viewer!

• 7. Re: Popover automatically opens on layout enter
                      jrenfrew

And look at setfieldByName instead

FMP doesnt need to 'go' to the field to set its value.