1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2014 11:33 PM by samarthmkt

Regarding Checkbox

samarthmkt

Dear Sir,

My request is that is there any option or script value of making right check symbol on selecting the required contacts from contact list and so as for only those selected contacts shall be go on prints on label from status filter (All).

Thanks

• 1. Re: Regarding Checkbox
          erolst

samarthmkt@hotmail.com wrote:

Dear Sir,

My request is

Isn't that more of a question?

selecting the required contacts from contact list and so as for only those selected contacts shall be go on prints on label from status filter (All).

If they're the selected ones, they're not "all" – wouldn't that be confusing?

Anyway, see if this sample file helps you.

PS: Please kindly drop the “Dear Sir” routine; we're in an Internet forum among colleagues, asking for assistance, not in the House of Lords begging for mercy …

• 2. Re: Regarding Checkbox
            samarthmkt

Thanks for your kind comments. But being a junior forum member and newbee also i should respect to all senior members.My motoo is not for mercy but should respect for seniors just like we respect to our teacher. Secondly i have put the script  but from print label what command value for the check box selected contacts name.

• 3. Re: Regarding Checkbox
              taylorsharpe

I love using the Boolean feature in the Inspector under Data formatting to adjust what is seen in a checkbox alternating the value between 1 and 0.  I use it a lot and didn't know about it for the longest time in my development career.  Good post, erolst. 

One annoying thing about FileMaker default checkboxes is that they graphically suck.  Sorry, FileMaker, but they do.  So I often import a simple but nicely formatted graphical button for On/off or X/O or whatever on top of each other and I use the hide function to hide the graphic that is not equal to what the field value is.  I've been doing that a little bit more lately than the Boolean values because I can better control what the graphic looks like visually.  Also fun, partiuclarly for iOS devices is using panels and sliding between panels to turn something off and on.  It behaves very intuitively.  Here is the same file with some graphics turning off and on by hiding as well as sliding. 

• 4. Re: Regarding Checkbox
                erolst

taylorsharpe wrote:

One annoying thing about FileMaker default checkboxes is that they graphically suck.  Sorry, FileMaker, but they do

Right, and you can do amazing things to overcome that with the techniques you describe.

But if someone is artistically challenged , a font checkmark does the job, quick'n'dirty, and probably carries the lowest resource overhead.

• 5. Re: Regarding Checkbox
                  erolst

My motoo is not for mercy but should respect for seniors just like we respect to our teacher.

Well, then … OK … carry on

Secondly i have put the script  but from print label what command value for the check box selected contacts name.

I have no idea what it is you're saying / asking for.

• 6. Re: Regarding Checkbox
                    taylorsharpe

erolst, I agree that the font checkmark is quick, dirty and easy.  I just don't see why FileMaker can't make its default checkbox look good.  They should have a whole selection of checkbox styles for users to choose that go with the layout template.  Who is the lady at FileMaker that was hired from Adobe to make FileMaker more elegant and she oversaw a lot of the theme development?  I'm surprised she is not all over these ugly checkboxes with some type of replacement. 

• 7. Re: Regarding Checkbox
                      erolst

Taylor –

I'm absolutely d'accord with you. Is there really such a lady, or is she an urban myth and/or a marketing ploy?

• 8. Re: Regarding Checkbox
                        gdurniak

That lady:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/heatherwinkle

greg

> Is there really such a lady, or is she an urban myth and/or a marketing ploy?

• 9. Re: Regarding Checkbox
                          erolst

gdurniak wrote:

That lady:

Aah, she.  Thanks for the info.

• 10. Re: Regarding Checkbox
                            taylorsharpe

Yes, that's the name.  Glad gdurniak has a better memory than me!  And looking forward to Devcon later this month to see any new things in development for the UI!

• 11. Re: Regarding Checkbox
                              brsamuel

Many of the emoji characters can be used here.  Though i do not know how well they translate between Mac, Windows, fmGo, or Web.  My experience in this matter has been entirely Mac. 

• 12. Re: Regarding Checkbox
                                samarthmkt

Thanks

For your valuable tips i am in the dig of the project for which this tips is very usefull for me but now still one thing is remaining how to uncheck all checked items with single button after finishing that work.

• 13. Re: Regarding Checkbox
                                  taylorsharpe

Just create a button with a script that goes through and resets all of the checked items after finishing the work!

• 14. Re: Regarding Checkbox
                                    keywords

Since the contents of a field displayed as a checkbox set is really just a list of the values checked, you can simply run a script with a single Set Field step to set the field to "", plus a commit step to take the cursor out of the field.

1 2 Previous Next