3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2014 4:51 AM by Mike_Mitchell

Value List works on one layout, but shows <no values defined> on another

chronister

Hello everyone,

Happy 4th of July.

I have a table called Rescue Organizations and an occurance called Active Rescues. I have created a value list that filters out in-active rescue organizations. It will work on one layout, but not on another.

So the quick question I have is this.... Do the value lists (when using 2 tables to show only a subset of records) work based on relationship to the layout (table occurance) they are used on? The underlying table I am trying to use this on is not related to either of the other tables and I am suspecting that this is why I am getting the results I am getting, but wanted to get confirmation from you folks.

I can give screenshots or DB layout info if needed.

Thanks,

Nate

• 1. Re: Value List works on one layout, but shows <no values defined> on another
          Mike_Mitchell

"The underlying table I am trying to use this on is not related to either of the other tables and I am suspecting that this is why I am getting the results I am getting"

Yep.  

In order to evaluate a relational value list, FileMaker has to be able to determine the proper relational path from the current context (Table Occurrence) to the target context. If it can't, then the value list isn't valid.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Value List works on one layout, but shows <no values defined> on another
            chronister

Ok, I fixed one of my lists and it works now and have gotten closer with the other ones I am trying to create, but I can't quite figure out what I am doing wrong. So I am hoping by showing you what I have you can help me determine what I am doing wrong. I appreciate all help here folks.

I have attached a screenshot of my relationships and a screenshot of the layout that it is being used on along with a screenshot of the Value List options that are set here for these.

sheltermanager_relationships.pngsheltermanager_screenshot.png

sheltermanager_valueLists.png

This layout is based off of the APL Schedule table occurrence and the portals are labeled as to their occurrence tables. I am attempting to have all 4 portals point to APL Stage, but only allow entry of either the shelter animals (first 2) or public animals (last 2).  So as you can see, the 2nd portal and the 4th portal both show the cooresponding lists I desire to see for each list. Those are properly filtering the animals that I want to see based on the relationships diagram with no additional filtering. So now I am trying to make those lists appear in the popup menu for the animal name fields you see in each portal. It works properly when the animal name shows up (meaning the record existed already). For example the first 2 records on the 1st portal have the proper lists, along with the 2nd row in the 4th portal. Both of them show the cooresponding animals that they are supposed to show. So it is not even regular that it is breaking. The others are coming up with the <no value list defined> error.

To explain what this is.... our animal shelter uses an offsite spay/neuter program and sends animals every couple weeks. We also send public animals. Animals all come from the main animals table, and public animals are designated by a Status of Public APL. Those then have a cooresponding owner record in a table that is not listed or relavent to this problem.

• 3. Re: Value List works on one layout, but shows <no values defined> on another
              Mike_Mitchell

The behavior is normal. In order for a relational join to evaluate, there have to be records on both sides. That's why you see a value list where records exist, and no value list where there aren't any. No records, no relationship; no relationship, no value list.

Your basic problem is you're using a table occurrence in the middle of the join path that defines your value list, then asking FileMaker to evaluate what the records should look like. FileMaker can't do that unless it has records to work with. You'll need to find another way to do it (for example, a list view or Virtual List).

Mike