4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2014 7:19 PM by alejandrolevins

Unwanted top margin in container field printing to Kiaro! label printer

alejandrolevins

Abstract

I have built a FM solution (in FM Pro 13 Advanced) that prints product labels on-demand to a digital label printer. Everything works except that there is extra white space (margin) at the top of my layout that I cannot seem to remove. I am looking for any practical solution or workaround.

Background: The Label Printer

• I am printing to a high-resolution (1,200 dpi) Kiaro! digital label printer. It prints onto continuous feed labels, on a roll separated by gaps.
      • The labels themselves are 3.5 inches wide by 3.75 inches tall. The roll is slightly larger: 3.625" x 5.875”, leaving room for over bleed.

Background: The FM Database

The job of the FM database (as it concerns the label printing) is to:

• Store label templates, in the form of high-resolution TIFF files in a label_templates table. The templates have blank spaces for:
        • two specific product attributes that are stored in a 'product’ table,
        • one product attribute that is determined on an order-by-order basis, and
        • one product attribute that is based on the current date (the “best-by” date)
      • Overlay appropriate product attributes on the appropriate label template. The main printing layout contains a container field for the label template and fields for each product attribute.
      • Print out customized product labels for each product ordered (based on orders placed on the web and by phone).

Other pertinent background:

• The label images stored in the database have a black border on all sides to match the color of the product packaging onto which they will be affixed. The label-printing layout contains a container field with a black background. I have made that background red so that it can be distinguished from the label during this troubleshooting phase.
      • I have set the Theme of the layout to “Classic”
      • In inspector->appearance->advanced graphic I have set all padding to “0”
      • In inspector->data->data formatting I have set:
        • Format to “Reduce or enlarge to fit”
        • Maintain original proportions to “checked”
        • Alignment left and top
        • Optimize for images
        • The layout has no header or footer
      • The container is sized to match the maximum label size (3.625 x 5.875) and should over-bleed the printable area by .125” inches laterally and .125” vertically. This should result in image being printed right up to and a little over the edge of the label itself and onto the labal backing.
      • FMP 13 is running on a Windows 8 machine.

The Problem

The labels print with white space at the top and left of the label. After several hours of playing with the print driver (with help from the printer manufacturer), I was able to get the label print with only a little white space at the top and side (still unacceptable on an otherwise black label). We did this by maximizing the available offsets in the printer driver.

It has been suggested that I try printing from FM to a PDF and then from the PDF to the Kiaro! printer might help, but I don’t see how. If FM is adding the white space, it would likely be in the PDF, as well.

I would be grateful for any ideas anyone has for me.

I am attaching a stripped-down version of my database (created in FM 12 Advanced)

• 1. Re: Unwanted top margin in container field printing to Kiaro! label printer
          Operadad

Unfortunately printing is always a time consuming monster. You can have it set and working in one place and then move your database to another computer with the exact printer and the whole thing will come tumbling down upon you and before you know it you've wasted 5 hours while your client is suppose to be printing for their customers. If you plan for this you will be OK--and you should always plan for it.

I do not have your printer so, I can not test it. but here are some thoughts. You can put your image in a container without black boarder and simply make the layout body black. This will not solve you problem, but it's something you can do. You should try to print to PDF, and to other printers to see other results. I'll assume that in preview mode you do NOT have any margins, but you never know.

My first test resulted in the top edge and left edge having white border with the image being cut off! Yay! This was acomplished by selecting Print, then Save as PDF on my mac. Going to Preview and then selecting Save to PDF did NOT cut off the top and left adge.

I then proceded to play with the printer settings to remove the white edges. Ulitmately I whent into the Page Setup and created a new layout size with the Non-Printable Area set to 0 all around. This created an ideal PDF, but, I could not test on your printer, and these settings were not available on the PC, and it doesn't mean that this was the issue.

Fred

• 2. Re: Unwanted top margin in container field printing to Kiaro! label printer
            keywords

Have had a quick play with your file, though my ability to replicate your situation is also limited. I tried a couple of other options:

1.     Set the body part itself to black—that looks OK in Preview but my print test (print to pdf) suggests it does not fix the problem

2.     Create a rectangle object the same size as your label filled with black, no border, position it top and left and send to back—again, looks OK in Preview, but not when printed to pdf

3.     Either of the above combined with using a page setup set to 0 non-printable margins APPEARS to overcome the issue in my print to pdf test.

So, similar to Fred, that points to creating a custom page size with 0 non-printable margins as the most likely solution. I hope that's of some help.

• 3. Re: Unwanted top margin in container field printing to Kiaro! label printer
              alejandrolevins

Thank you for taking the time to test this! I am grateful.

I will try what you suggest this week.

Alejandro-

• 4. Re: Unwanted top margin in container field printing to Kiaro! label printer
                alejandrolevins

And thank you to you, as well. I will try what you suggest this week.

Alejandro-