4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2014 6:22 AM by m.mcdonell

setting up many user accounts with webdirect

m.mcdonell

I am just wrapping up a solution for my clients to log in and see their service orders and invoices, download them as pdf's and soon, pay their invoices). Each client has a unique client id number that I was going to assign to each user as their account name. An on open script would then match the account name with the client id so that it keeps things secure. (It would also run with limited access and no filemaker controls.

Is there an easy way to set up the account names (users) or do I have to manually add each one? I have just over 2400 clients now and am hoping for a soltution that does not require me to add each new account name as we go.

Also, I plan on having them change their password and set a certain character length for added security but what is the best way to inform them of the initial password? I know basic ways but am not sure what most peoiple are doing on filemaker since alot of you use if with 1000's of clients accessing it as well.

I am on FP13 Pro and FP13 Server if this helps.

Thanks

Michael

• 1. Re: setting up many user accounts with webdirect
          taylorsharpe

FileMaker scripting can allow you to create records looping through a table of records of accounts.  If you create a new script, in the left hand column about 3/4's the way down in the left column is a group of script steps under the heading "Accounts", which includes adding a user, deleting, resetting passwords, etc. 

There may also be consideration on managing such a large number of accounts with a Directory Service like Active Directory from Microsoft. 

• 2. Re: setting up many user accounts with webdirect
            wimdecorte

taylorsharpe wrote:

There may also be consideration on managing such a large number of accounts with a Directory Service like Active Directory from Microsoft. 

Or Apple's Open Directory.

Or just plain local accoungs and groups on the FMS machine itself.  External Authentication works with that too.

On another note: 2,500 potential connections to WebDirect; how many do you estimate will be on at the same time?  Seems like the potential for exceeding the max tested of 50 is high.  What kind of hardware are you using here for thi setup?

• 3. Re: setting up many user accounts with webdirect
              m.mcdonell

excellent, I have used scripting loads of times and always skipped that section as my focus has alwasy been directed elsewhere. I will go through soon, thanks for the detailed explanation.

New accounts are not as frequent, 10 per week at best. I will try this method before looking into Active Directories. Too much to learn on a full plate, currently working on Moneyworks integration and learning SQL which already boggles my brain.

Thanks again,

• 4. Re: setting up many user accounts with webdirect
                m.mcdonell

Thanks, it is a high number but the consecutive users will be low and I will time them out at 10 minutes to ensure only active users are present. They only need to check their service orders and invoices. We service at a rate of 20-30 clients per day so it should be fine.

I use a mac mini as the server and run on fiber for bandwidth.

This project is more to put us on the right path for future business, probably 60% of our accounts will not access this as we will be sending invoices by mail with an explanation letter of how they can view online. I will be working on allowing them to pay online soon. When the bugs are worked out, I can implement a slow roll out to reducing the invoices being mailed.