1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 6:39 PM by jormond

FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...

synergy46

.... ugly but when printed everything is as expected.

On my layout I have 2 portals: Members (shown below) and to it's right... Visitors

Even in browse mode, the member portal is just plain ugly. It is ugly also in Preview Mode.

But, when printed, everything looks as expected.

evenInLayoutMode.JPG

On my Mac I don't get these problems. It just looks as expected. So, on the Windows

PC I tried changing he font from Ariel to Verdona... nothing.

What's going on here? Have you had this experience?

Thanks ron

result.jpg

• 1. Re: FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...
          mikebeargie

This sounds like a hardware issue with your video card or drivers, not necessarily a filemaker issue. Especially given that you note that it's fine on Mac OSX and when printed.

Do you have multiple PCs that you can test with?

Given the screenshots as well, it doesn't appear to be related to fonts, but rather to screen drawing by the OS.

• 2. Re: FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...
            synergy46

I have sent the fm app to friend, also running windows 7 and he does NOT have the problem.

I could understand a hardware failure on my PC but:

a)  No other program produces these kind of results on my PC

b)  No other user reports this kind of result

c)  The fact that it does not reproduce on my MAC seems to indicate that the problem is NOT FM???

Pretty confusing... Not a real problem because when users run my program they never see anything in Preview and when printed it looks ok...

thanks for the thoughts.

• 3. Re: FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...
              usbc

I don't think these types of issues are unique to Win 7. There is one easy thing to check on - Hardware Acceleration settings. Turn it all the way down and that may matter.

• 4. Re: FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...
                mikebeargie

I always loathed video drivers for windows when I worked in tech support. Their is no good "universal" driver, and even official drivers were wrought with problems.

If you have the time to invest, you might want to troubleshoot the driver on your video card. I've seen similar "line freezes" before due to drivers.

• 5. Re: FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...
                  synergy46

After being a tester for early Windows, several years ago I switched (after the government's harassment of Microsoft) to OSX. 

Tracking down the problem involves:  video drivers?  hardware / video card issue, Java issue?  OS issue?  ... with all vendors pointing the 'finger of blame' to other providers.  This is what I like about OSX.  Apple is in charge of the OS, hardware and Java installation.  It is a cleaner, less error prone system.  Too bad my users mostly use Windows.  Otherwise I wouldn't even have a Windows pc.  (The win computer is used too compile my FM apps)

Unless someone says " Yes, I had that problem and it was...." I will probably just life with the problem.

Thanks for the ideas.

Ron

• 6. Re: FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...
                    jormond

That is most definitely a video card issue. It's good or bad.  It may be an early sign of a failing card...which I found. I replaced the card in my machine, and moved it to another for unrelated reasons. A few month later, the card completely died.

Other things to try:

• Turn hardware acceleration down until the lines stop.
                    • Take out the video card ( if it's an add-in ) and test with the onboard video.
                    • Replace the video cable.
                    • Check for any electrical interferance around the cable or connections. ( ie - electrical outlets, new cables, new appliances on the same circuit, etc ). I've found poorly sheilded cables to sometimes be the culprit. And I don't see the lines in other apps because of the difference in nature of the graphics rendering.
                    • 7. Re: FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...
                      synergy46

Here is another interesting development.

The current version of my app is 2.23.  It has the 'problem'.

If I go back to version 1.51 the 'ugly problem doesn't occur.

Doesn't this seem like FM changed something?  That the problem is not a video card, video driver, Windows, or other hardware issue?

• 8. Re: FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...
                        synergy46

And, here is another piece of the puzzle.

If I start my app, and view a report in Preview the result is ugly as described above.

If I then go to Records / REFRESH WINDOW, everything goes to normal....

.... perplexing....

• 9. Re: FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...
                          jormond

If it happens on your PC and not other machines...it's still likely a hardware/rendering issue. The refresh window lets Windows try to render it again.

• 10. Re: FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...
                            synergy46

Hi Josh,

Is it likely a hardware issue if it a) ONLY does in FM preview and b) is remedied by a manual refresh and c) does NOT do it in a previous version of the same application??

• 11. Re: FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...
                              jormond

I do believe it could be. Don't get me wrong, it could just be corruption in the FM install, the CSS, or maybe a corrupted object on the layout that is hosing the rendering.

I would start with turning down the Hardware Acceleration. I used to have a lot of problems with the relationship graph not fully rendering, on one PC in particular. Not so much since FM 10, but it was a simple matter of turning down the HA.

• 12. Re: FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...
                                synergy46

I just went into hardware and decreased the monitor speed.  I also checked for the latest video driver.

After opening the app, I noticed that the problem persists but when the 'offending' text box' is bigger than the screen height (ie, part of extends below the screen) a 'refresh' makes the visible part 'get normal'.   If I scroll the text window down so that the top of the text window is 'off the screen' and then do a Record Refresh, the bottom goes normal but the top is now 'corrupted'....

I am going to recreate the layout and see if that helps ... fingers crossed...

• 13. Re: FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...
                                  jormond

"Monitor Speed"? You don't want to change the refresh rate of the monitor. But the Hardware Acceleration.

It may not be a bad idea to reinstall FM itself if nothing else helps.

• 14. Re: FM 13 Win 7 Portal Printing really ugly...
                                    synergy46

Hey Josh,

Here is the latest.

I opened the app and built a new layout.  Doing so did nothing.

I again opened a PRIOR  version of the same app and again confirmed it works as expected.

This tells me it is something I did in the 'new' version that was not in the older version.  The biggest change was that I implemented 'sliding up' in my portal and a text box below the portal.  So, I 'undid' the sliding.  No difference.

Tomorrow I will drop the hardware acceleration but don't hold out much hope.  My test show the video card is ok.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ron

1 2 Previous Next