1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2014 10:51 PM by dburnham

FM-GO refuses to create new record

dburnham

I have the database open on both my iPad and my computer. Logged in with identical account on both devices. Same privilege set, same custom menus, same everything.

On the computer, the New Record command in a script creates the new record. On the iOS device, the script jumps over the New Record script step. I've tried capturing with Get(lasterror) in a custom dialog whatever might be the issue immediately after the new record command, but it comes up with error 200 - record access is denied.

The words "record access is denied" is a little bit different from "Your Access Privileges do not .....". But what I can't figure out is what would deny record access on the mobile device while permitting it in the computer.

The record is being created in a secondary database. I've noticed that on the computer, that secondary database file is properly hidden but accessible using the Window-Show command. On the mobile device, when I use the icon in the upper left corner and select Windows, the secondary database file is not visible as a second window, but I know it is open because I can see the data in the existing records.

Just can't create a new one. No idea why. Would appreciate any suggestions.

thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: FM-GO refuses to create new record
          dburnham

Also, I checked the file on FileMaker server to be sure that the database is not "locked" and the read write permissions are OK for all users.

• 2. Re: FM-GO refuses to create new record
            Malcolm

Is the secondary db accessible to fmGo?

malcolm

• 3. Re: FM-GO refuses to create new record
              Mike_Mitchell

Custom menus aren't supported on Go. Try it with default menus and see if it fixes the problem.

• 4. Re: FM-GO refuses to create new record
                dburnham

the secondary file has been accessible to FM-GO for the past 8 months.  Its data is visible.  I can see all the records in list view.  I can select any one of them and view it in a form view.  But then, New Record fails.

• 5. Re: FM-GO refuses to create new record
                  dburnham

I've tried it with Standard FileMaker menus.  Same result.

• 6. Re: FM-GO refuses to create new record
                    Mike_Mitchell

Can you create a new record manually on Go?

• 7. Re: FM-GO refuses to create new record
                      dburnham

In other databases, yes, without difficulty.  In this database in other tables, yes, no problem.

The error #200 says Record access is denied.  I'm thinking that the problem could possibly be in the relationship structure whereby one of the table occurrences related to this table has a table whose access is restricted by something in the privilege set.   When I explore the field definitions in the table in which I'm trying to create a new record, I see several dozen calculation fields and auto-entered calculations that point to related tables. 

I'm suspicious that one of these could be causing FM to refuse to create the new record, but unwilling to take apart all my relationships on such a slender hunch.

But I keep coming back to the question:  why does it fail in iOS and work fine on the computer.  That seems to rule out anything with server permissions, hard drive space, etc.  I can't find anything in the Security menu that specifically differentiates between iOS devices and computers, except for the extended privilege for re-authenticating.   Am I missing something there?

• 8. Re: FM-GO refuses to create new record
                        Mike_Mitchell

Are there any Script Triggers that fire OnRecordLoad?

• 9. Re: FM-GO refuses to create new record
                          DavidZakary

Check to see if any of your relationships are based on global fields. Wondering if, on the iPad, the global doesn't have a value and the relationship isn't resoloving properly.

• 10. Re: FM-GO refuses to create new record
                            dburnham

Looked for that too.  Fortunately, the answer is no.  In List view there is a script trigger that always constrains to pre-defined set of records, but on the Form View, there are no script triggers.

• 11. Re: FM-GO refuses to create new record
                              dburnham

I thought of that too, and I put the global fields on the layout to expose them where I could verify that the necessary values exist.   The fact is that there is only one global field involved (holding the value of the current logged-in user's ID number) which is also stored as a global variable.  I've got the field on the layout and the global variable exposed as a merge field   <<$$globalvalue>> and both of them confirm that everything is as it should be.

I think what I may have to do is delete all the security settings on a duplicate copy of the file to determine if the problem is with the relationship graph or the privilege sets. 

But I keep coming back to the haunting question:  why does it work on the computer and not on iOS when there's nothing in the Security except for the sleep property that is unique to FM-GO.

• 12. Re: FM-GO refuses to create new record
                                Datagrace

Your description of '...a table whose access is restricted by something in the privilge set' sound like the most promising lead so far. Have I missed, in this thread, a description of the privilege sets used to log on to Go and to the desktop? Have you used the Data Viewer or some other mechanism to test that-- to make sure that the Go privilege set is not different than the desktop's, and that it is sufficient to overcome what sounds like an RLA ('record level access') restriction?

I am also confused by your structure. You wrote earlier: "The record is being created in a secondary database.  I've noticed that on the computer, that secondary database file is properly hidden but accessible using the Window-Show command.   On the mobile device, when I use the icon in the upper left corner and select Windows, the secondary database file is not visible as a second window, but I know it is open because I can see the data in the existing records."

Can you explain a bit more what you mean by 'a secondary database', and how it is invoked from the iPad? Where does the problem record live, and are the privilege sets exactly the same in both files?

• 13. Re: FM-GO refuses to create new record
                                  dburnham

There are 2 database files, related to each other as external data sources.  Think of it as a separation model.  All the data is in one and all the UI is in the other. 

I've gone to great lengths to insure that the security settings are the same for each of the privilege sets.  The only comfortable way to do that is to open the same pair of databases in both FileMaker 12 and FileMaker 13 so that I can view them side by side.  I've taken screen shots of all the security settings so that I can visually compare them side by side without any database being open.

Yes, I have used the Data Viewer extensively to monitor the settings.  None of the privilege sets are specific to the Go platform.  The design of the system is to allow the same people to use their laptops or their iPads, as they prefer.

What I meant by hidden windows is this:  when the database opens on the computer, the database with the data is Open(Hidden) and if I need to bring it to the foreground I can use the Window->Show menu command to bring it forward.  FM-Go doesn't behave the same way.  As I recall, in an earlier version of FM-GO, you could navigate to the hidden window by using the menu icon in the upper left corner (Home/Windows/Current Window)  but now, in FileMaker Go 13, choosing Windows does not let you see a window that is "hidden".  However, if I assign a script step to a button that calls for that file to become visible, it's there.  However, I still can't add a record.

I appreciate your thoughtful questions.

• 14. Re: FM-GO refuses to create new record
                                    Datagrace

Are you able to modify the record from Go?

1 2 Previous Next