1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2016 5:41 PM by dkb

FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely

JoelShapiro

Hi all

I've got a brand new installation of FMS13.0.3 on a client's server (Windows Server 2008 (virtual), 8GB RAM).

I can work with the Admin Console on the local machine (via localhost) without any problems, however from any other machine (at IP:16000/admin-console) I can log in fine but then clicking any tab (e.g. Activity) brings up the rotating "loading" image in the top right of the window, which quickly changes from white to yellow to red, and then stays on red -- sometimes for a minute or two, sometimes forever. Two of us have tried from numerous different machines, both onsite and offsite via VPN, and always the same bad results.

Since it works fine locally, it seems it's a network issue.

Port 16000 is open. (I'd imagine if this were a port issue then I would not even be able to log in and view the initial Status page.)

Connecting to hosted DBs remotely through FMP is fine.

Anybody seen this before? Anybody know how to fix it?

TIA,

-Joel

• 1. Re: FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely
          TimDietrich

Joel --

Oddly enough, I just started running into something similar to what you described - but I'm only having the problem when I connect from my iPad.  I can login okay, but if I try to access anything else - Activity, etc - it just spins... No response from that point on. This just started this afternoon. Last night I could pull up the Admin Console without any problems.

My iPad uses the same WAN connection that my MacBook uses. I can connect from my MacBook just fine.

For the remote server, I'm running FMS 13.0.3.300 on an Amazon EC2 Server w/ Windows Server 2012. I get the same behavior with a local FMS server (a development server here on my LAN).

I'm not sure what has changed in 24 hours. Nothing that I know of, that's for sure.

-- Tim

• 2. Re: FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely
            Mike_Mitchell

Joel -

I've seen similar behavior to what you're describing, although not exact, on my development box. In my case, I get the red spinning even on the local box. I've found that restarting the admin server process from the command line seems to fix it.

What causes it, I can't say.

HTH

Mike

• 3. Re: FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely
              JoelShapiro

Thanks for the replies, Tim & Mike

@Mike Since this problem is not happening on the local server and only remotely I don't see how restarting the admin server process would help.  I guess I'll try it if I don't come up with anything else.

I just tried again now and get the same problem: very quick to access and login to the admin console, but then the red spinner as soon as I try to click to anywhere else

Anybody else have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,

-Joel

• 4. Re: FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely
                bsimon

I am getting the same issue on 1 of 12 servers.  All of the servers are in the same location and the same OS.  The other servers are responsive and one just spins the red circle of boredom.  I have tried the command line and no change, as well as restarting the server.  It does not however give me the same issue from the server itself, only remotely across all of our computers and all browsers(FireFox, Chrome, Safari, and IE).  Will let you know if I can figure out a fix.  Sorry I was not of any help, but wanted to let you know that you weren't the only one.

• 5. Re: FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely
                  TimDietrich

Joel --

The odd thing about this - in my case anyway - was that the slowness seemed to happen overnight. One day I could access it from my iPad, and all was well. The next day, it was super slow. And it has been that way ever since. Nothing changed as far as I can tell. (Maybe a Safari update on iOS caused it?)

What I find it equally odd is that I do not see this slowness when I access the Admin Console from my MacBook. It's as fast as it always has been. Both devices (iPad and MacBook) are on the same network, and tha Server is external. So what I'm getting it is that the slowness seems to depend on the device that I'm using.

Are you seeing that, too? Have you tried accessing the Admin Console from another device?

-- Tim

• 6. Re: FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely
                    JoelShapiro

Thanks bsimon for the corroboration.  Please do report back if you figure anything out.

Tim: We have tried from different browsers, different OSes, and different machines.  Everything except on localhost is slow-to-nonresponsive

Thanks,

-Joel

• 7. Re: FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely
                      sumware

We are seeing this on one site and the issue is displayed on the local machine. It worked fabulously for the first day (on initial install and uninstall/re-install a week or so later) and then performance bombs. Unfortunately, we don't have access to other clients on the network to test this.

Very interested to hear what the story is.

Rob

• 8. Re: FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely
                        KenLuymes

Uninstalled v. 0.3, installed v.0.2, solved the problem for now.

• 9. Re: FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely
                          kibiz

I found this thread from last year. There doesn't seem to be any real solutions or answers offered. We just installed FMS 13.0v5 on Window 2008 server, and the admin console to extremely slow.  We have checking the binding to port 16000, and although this is connected, it is complaining about intermediate certificates not being in place.

Does anyone have any success in resolving the issue of slowness with admin console on Windows?

• 10. Re: FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely
                            dkb

I had this problem with 13 - the Admin Console worked fine internally but was unusable externally. I uninstalled 13 and upgraded to 14.0.2 but I still have exactly the same problem. (No change on Server 2008 R2 configuration). Very frustrating!

• 11. Re: FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely
                              Romain

Hi everyone,

After investigating about this issue, I found that it happened when the dynamic content compression was active in IIS.

I've found 2 ways of fixing this :

• Turning off dynamic compression for FMWebSite
                              • If you want to keep dynamicCompression (which may be usefull), set dynamicCompressionBeforeCache to true in the /system.webServer/urlCompression section of FMWebSite (It can be accessed from the config editor in IIS)

Hope this fix will work for you too.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely
                                dkb

THANK YOU Romain! I followed your instructions and set dynamicCompressionBeforeCache to true for FMWebSite (Windows Server 2008 R2). The Admin Console is now useable remotely.

Never, ever, would I have been able to troubleshoot this on my own.

Thx Again!

- doug

• 13. Re: FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely
                                  DragonTayl

!!!

I spent over a year "putting up" with this issue, only having a moment here or there to try to troubleshoot it when it got frustrating and never getting anywhere.

THANK YOU!!

Gold Star of the Year

• 14. Re: FMServer 13 Admin Console very slow remotely
                                    adatasol

GENIUS ROMAIN - THIS NEEDS TO BE ALSO MARKED AS A FIX FOR FMSA 14.

1 2 Previous Next