4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2014 6:38 PM by taylorsharpe

barcode scanner and filemaker 12 and OS X 10.9 causes lockups

s

FMP 12.0v5 on OS X 10.9.4

We are using a handheld barcode scanner to input barcodes into our database. This has been working fine for 5 years until this year when we upgraded to 10.9.

The scanners we were using (LaserChamp by SerialIO which required the use of Serial Magic Pro software) are not supported in 10.9, so we have switched brands.

The new ones we have tried include:

Symbol LS 2208 - USB

KoamTac 200 - bluetooth

The script runs a loop to capture the barcode input, then marks that item as processed, and continues the loop, waiting for another scan. A typical batch could have 200 items to process.

The scanners are set up to append a LF character (ASCII 10), which I think is the same as the enter key, and that will Continue the Paused script.

The problem is that after some random number of scans (sometimes 4, sometimes 50), FileMaker will lock up and have to be force quit. The cursor stays in the input field (almost like the LF never got appended), and FileMaker is completely locked up. There is no pattern to which items cause the lockup - the same item that caused the lockup one time will scan without problems the next time.

If I open TextEdit, I can scan continuously without any problems.

Has anyone seen anything like this with FileMaker 12.0v5 and OS X 10.9.4?

--

Steve Moore

Cumberland, Maine

• 1. Re: barcode scanner and filemaker 12 and OS X 10.9 causes lockups
          taylorsharpe

I don't have an answer for you, just ideas to look into. 

As you probably know, FMP 12.0v5 is the only version of 12 that works with OS X 10.9 and 12 was not developed on 10.9, which can lead to minor issues such as this.  Scanners usually work as if they were a keyboard.  Does this problem happen if you try another scanner even of the same type?  Have you tried it with FMP 13?  Have you tried it on another Mac with FMP 12.0v5 or maybe even a Windows machine? 

There are all kinds of things you can do with a serial connection and things like the TROI serial plugin, but then again, if you haven't been willing to spend money on upgrading to 13, I am going to assume you're not so free with money for a plugin.  I assume you've looked at all of your keyboard settings in the System Preference to see if any changes there effects the scanner. 

You can go to "Made for FileMaker" and check out the "Readers & Scanners" section.  Those will probably give you the best connection with FileMaker:  http://solutions.filemaker.com/made-for-filemaker/search.jsp?category=9

• 2. Re: barcode scanner and filemaker 12 and OS X 10.9 causes lockups
            s

Thanks for your reply, Taylor.

We have 3 workstations running 10.9, all with their own scanners (Symbol LS2208), and they all behave the same. However, if I use a workstation runnning 10.8, it does not freeze.

This is a volume license client, and they do own version 13, but will not upgrade the server until the end of the season. (This is a summer camp, and upgrading during camp is not a viable (or smart) option.)

Can you run FMP 13 client with FileMaker Server 12?

According to Filemaker's website, FMP 13 client is not supported with FM Server 12:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11218/related/1

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11218/kw/Client%20server%20compatibility

Money is not an issue. If there's a solution, we'll buy it.

I have also disabled plugins with no success.

Perhaps a downgrade to 10.8 is the best option.

Thanks again for your input.

• 3. Re: barcode scanner and filemaker 12 and OS X 10.9 causes lockups
              wimdecorte

s wrote:

Can you run FMP 13 client with FileMaker Server 12?

You can, you just have to be careful using FM13 features.  Some things are evaluated on the server and obviously those would break if it is something that FMS12 does not understand.  So you test a little more carefully.

• 4. Re: barcode scanner and filemaker 12 and OS X 10.9 causes lockups
                taylorsharpe

In general it is true you can mix and match FM 12 Clients and Server.  They all use the same fmp12 format.  But there were some tweaks to the CSS and layouts in 13 that every once in a while results in a layout quirk that behaves differently or badly in the other version.  And it is rather unpredictable when this will happen.  If you must mix and match... only develop with the same version as the server and do not let people edit your layouts using the other version if you want to play things safe.  Or live in the edge and just fix things when they come up.  In general they work well together, but not perfectly.