3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 4:34 AM by Nehme

real life test.

malachydevlin

Hi,

I am in the process of working on an application and as I have a lot of MS SQL experience I decided to start the project based on that backend.

I was always taught, dont use something as a RDMS when its not one so I beleive that filemakers strengths are in the front end and i beleive in letting SQL server do what it does best.

Now as I say its a hell of a lot simpler to just use filemaker to store the data however what i struggle with is opening a layout in filemaker (with filemaker data) that has 250k records and doing a find behind the scenes to show only the current records I want.

I can just create a view in SQL and only show these much simpler but my question is.

Is it any slower open a filemaker table on a layout and finding 100 records out of 250k records than it would be to just open a SQL view containing the 100 records?

In reality does it make a difference?

I know 1 thing for sure, the user dont give a hoot! they want to see their records and dont care how that was achieved as long as there is no real delay.

Im trying to think common sense and avoid slipping into the developer trap of doing whats cool or what everyone thinks the thing to do is.. especially after 20yrs I have learned that the user is not interested in the technology!..

thanks..

• 1. Re: real life test.
          wimdecorte

In serveral publications, FileMaker Inc actively discourages the use of FM strictly as a front-end and using the ESS feature to store all the data in MS SQL, Oracle or MySQL.

Don't expect things to be faster than native FM data storage when you do use it in that fashion, because that ESS feature was not designed for that purpose.

Finding 100 records out of 250,000 should be very fast in FM, how slow is it in your solution?

• 2. Re: real life test.
            malachydevlin

Thanks  , well I actually havent yet got to the stage of testing it and really I am trying to "think ahead".

On paper and in my mind it seems that it would be much slower returning all records then finding than running a view but then I dont understand how ESS works under the hood (nor filemaker finds).
            I guess the only way is to test it fro myself but from what you say it sounds like things may not be as I  think with SQL backend. im all for keeping it simple if I can.

thanks..

• 3. Re: real life test.
              Nehme

Filemaker includes an indexing option of the fields.

In the manage database, you can go field options, select storage and choose the indexing status you want.

If your searched field is already indexed, the searching time will be very fast.

But for sure don't index all your fields because this will increase the size of your file.