6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 11:07 AM by ntsangaris

Bring a guest to DevCon Developer Bowl?

ntsangaris

Question: are we allowed to bring a guest to the Developer Bowl? A good friend is driving up from Austin to visit the night of the event (I live in Michigan), and it would be nice to not have to prioritize one over the other!

Thanks for the replies

• 1. Re: Bring a guest to DevCon Developer Bowl?
          taylorsharpe

The Developer Cup is Tuesday Night at 8pm.  The only non-conference participation functions I know of are the Monday evening reception after the opening keynote (but not including the keynote) at 8pm and the Wednesday Evening Attendee Dinner Party at 6pm at the Kibble Ranch.  Both cost money ($50 Monday, $100 Wednesday - I may be wrong with the amounts). 

Unfortunately for your request, the Devcon Developer Cup is not a function that you can invite guests to.  Sorry about that.  Then again, maybe if you have some inside connection with FileMaker you can get a waiver.  But they tend to be rather inflexible on such things unfortunately and.... I know.... once they make an exception, when do they stop making exceptions.  But if you wanted to request an exception, I would recommend you start with Delfina.  She might not be able to give it herself, but she probably knows the options if there are any. 

• 2. Re: Bring a guest to DevCon Developer Bowl?
            ntsangaris

Thanks for the response Taylor. I had reviewed the information regarding when guests were allowed, and I completely understand why FileMaker would want to keep guests out of most activities (as do I, as we're paying for the privilege of attending and learning from the best!)

I was hoping that since the Developer Cup is more of a competition, not a learning seminar, that guests would be allowed. I will get in touch with Delfina and see if it's possible. Thank you again!

• 3. Re: Bring a guest to DevCon Developer Bowl?
              taylorsharpe

It never hurts to ask! 

And even if they do say no, there are a lot of fun things to do.  You could just enjoy some activities at the Resort or you could take a drive to downtown and eat on the River Walk.  My personal favorite on the River Walk is the dueling pianos bar, at "Howl at the Moon" (www.howlatthemoon.com). 

• 4. Re: Bring a guest to DevCon Developer Bowl?
                mikebeargie

As a novice pianist myself, I was already planning to check out howl at the moon after dinner Saturday night. (we've also got one here in Columbus, OH thats always fun).

• 5. Re: Bring a guest to DevCon Developer Bowl?
                  mikebeargie

If you're not planning on learning something from the developers cup, then you're going to be surprised.

I wouldn't be surprised if I learn more from seeing other people's development than I do during the entire week of sessions!

• 6. Re: Bring a guest to DevCon Developer Bowl?
                    ntsangaris

Spot on Mark, I could have worded my inital post better. I have absolutely no doubt that as I developer, I will learn a ton from watching people compete who know far more than I do!

I only meant that I hope FileMaker wouldn't treat the event as a training/learning seminar that we've paid the conference registration fee to attend, and thusly that I could bring a friend along.