7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 1:10 PM by HershHiltonHead

File Not found Error

HershHiltonHead

I have a series of Global Container Fields that I store Icons in. When I move the solution to my laptop certain not all of these .png files don't move. The Container field has a message stating "file Not found" error. When I move the solution back to the development Mac they appear again.

I have tried storing them in non gloabl containers also. Hints to what I am doing wrong will be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in Advance

Mark

• 1. Re: File Not found Error
          erolst

You probably didn't store the files themselves in the fields, but only references – which cannot be resolved on your other Mac since the files don't exist there (or not in the correct relative storage location).

Try inserting the files into the fields again, and make sure that the “Store only a reference …” option isn't checked.

• 2. Re: File Not found Error
            TSPigeon

Heya,

It doesn't sound like Global Storage is quite what you need. Global Storage basically makes each record equal the same value. It seems you have individual files. What it sounds like is that you either have the files referenced, so the filepath no longer exists when you move the file. A second possibility is that you have it stored externally, but you are not moving the External Data folder when you move the file. I would recommend either saving the File directly into the database (not as a reference or with external storage turned on) or use External Storage, but make sure you keep up with the folder it creates, which holds the container information be it open storage or secured (encrypted).

External Storage: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10244/~/storing-container-field-data-externally

Sincerely,

CSPigeon

• 3. Re: File Not found Error
              BruceHerbach

You may want to creat an Admin table with one record in it. Have a

container field for each of your globals.  On open have the script populate

the globals from this record.  Make sure you use internal storage for the

container fields

HTH

Bruce

Sent from my mobile device... Please excuse typos.

• 4. Re: File Not found Error
                Stephen Huston

If your global containers are already in their own table, be sure that table has 1 record. Some text and number values seem to hold in global records without any existing record, but a global container field without an actual record in the global table might not hold the file.

• 5. Re: File Not found Error
                  HershHiltonHead

Stephen,

Thanks for the help.  Seems I had them properly created, stored and formatted in the first place.  I just had copied over the "wrong" Files Folder with the solution onto my laptop.

Again Thanks for the help

• 6. Re: File Not found Error
                    HershHiltonHead

Bruce,

Thanks for the help.  Seems I had them properly created, stored and formatted in the first place.  I just had copied over the "wrong" Files Folder with the solution onto my laptop.

• 7. Re: File Not found Error
                      HershHiltonHead

Hi CSPigeon

Mrk