5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 5:46 AM by Oliver_Reid

Find not finding.

bigtom

I know everyone is at devcon. However I have a mysterious issue where Find is not finding records. I have a field that is a checkbox. When selecting the checkbox in find mode and performing the search it usually returns all the records that have the box checked.

Today it missed one. It was easy to find as it was the last in the list and I knew it should be there. Maybe this has happened before and no one noticed. I cannot seem to figure out why. The same result was seen on a number of clients. This makes me think there is an issue with the Server or the file. Is there any way to track this down to figure out why? I thought Find mode was a solid feature of Filemaker.

I tried committing the record and then unchecking the box, commit the recored, recheck the box, commit the record, then find. Still same problem. I am going to restart the server to see if that helps.

I also had an issue recently where a record was erased for no reason according to the user. It was on screen and then it was gone and moved to the next record. I tend to believe this as all record deletes have confirmation dialogues and they would admit if they deleted a record.

• 1. Re: Find not finding.
          user19752

What is the value you finding ?

If value of valuelist contain finding operator, it can't be find using checkbox.

ex. if checked value is

==a

this means find exactly same as 'a', so the record checked '==a' is not found by the criteria.

• 2. Re: Find not finding.
            breezer

Has the field type been recently changed? If the value of the checkbox is a text but it was inadvertently changed to a field type of number,then you may have this issue of not finding what you perceive to be there. Verify that your field definition types are correct and also if the value is "stored" or not under "indexing"

• 3. Re: Find not finding.
              bigtom

The field is set to a value list value when the box is checked.

The value list value can be found with a checkbox. This has been working without fail for a long time and the checkbox finds work well. I watched the field in the data viewer all through the find process and the value list value looks like it is good at all times.

The field is currently set to None under indexing. I will change that as soon as I can and try again. Nothing has changed about the field. I did not see anywhere about the value being "stored" or not. It is not a calculation value. The field type has not change in a long time, not ever actually.

So far as I can tell right now only this one record is affected. Also this does not have a problem in FM13. The issue seems to be with the FM12 clients. Hopefully the index change will fix this. If not I will let you know.

• 4. Re: Find not finding.
                keywords

I suggest you click inside the field in question and have a look at the field's index (command + I or Insert > From Index). That can sometimes show you if there are values in the field that APPEAR to be the same but in fact are subtly different (eg. a leading or trailing space is very hard to spot). If you find that there are variants on the field value you are at least part of the way to resolving the problem. Then you have to work out how such variants got there, especially if the chief data entry method is by checkbox.

• 5. Re: Find not finding.
                  Oliver_Reid

Try turning off the indexing for that field, saving the change, and then turning on again.

If that fails, export the whole table to an XML file, delete all the records, and reimport,