6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 6:19 PM by tonymak

Prevent File Deletion

tonymak

Is there a way to prevent an iPad user from deleting a file in FileMaer Go?

swiping the application and choosing delete is a bit dangerous for our sales staff to go out and gather estimates and contracts then instead of syncing, just swipe and delete all they did in the application by removing the file from the iPad/iPhione.

I'm hoping i have missed a security step or something.

• 1. Re: Prevent File Deletion
          Stephen Huston

Sorry, but I don't think you missed anything.

FM Go users have the option to delete files from their devices from within FM Go. They should be trained not to do destructive stuff like deleting their data files.

---------------------------------------

see also "PICNIC ERROR" — Problem In Chair, Not In Computer. 

• 2. Re: Prevent File Deletion
            tonymak

two words

Disgruntled Employee

• 3. Re: Prevent File Deletion
              taylorsharpe

All the more reason I try to get as many of the FM Go solutions to work directly with a Server instead of keeping the files locally.  I even avoid syncing even though I know it is needed sometimes.  Keeping control back on the server is the way I prefer things to keep control of errant or even disgruntled employees.  Just my 2 cents. 

• 4. Re: Prevent File Deletion
                tonymak

good sound advice, however there are way to many dead spots around here to rely on direct cell to server.

• 5. Re: Prevent File Deletion
                  Stephen Huston

Good luck with the passive-aggressiveness. Definitely a PICNIC error!

Most of us resist change at some level, but we adjust if it's presented in a way that makes sense to us.

Perhaps, politely offer to not pay for work which they fail to document as required? Disgruntlement can take many forms, but rarely includes foregoing payment.

• 6. Re: Prevent File Deletion
                    tonymak

labor laws being as funny as they are are always on the side of the employee not the employer. employee can say the device malfunctioned and deleted it itself, employee no matter what will be paid.

but anyway, I appreciate all the feed back.

probably will never happen, but to be honest I'm more concerned about the files being deleted by mistake, say for example a child playing with mom or dads iPad, or anything.