9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 9:36 AM by Lasersol

FM Go 12 and FMP 13 Runtime Behavior

Lasersol

We have a runtime solution that has run on iOS since FMGo v1 and FMGo v2 without any problems. Now, when I build the Runtime in FMA 13 and run under FMGo 12, it does not work with the extension 'ETH' that I have always used. If I change the extension to 'fmp12' on my runtime, it works fine. Anyone run into this? What I am missing?

• 1. Re: FM Go 12 and FMP 13 Runtime Behavior
          user19752

Runtime runs only on Windows or Mac. iOS use only solution (data) file in runtime.

You don't need to build runtime for iOS, copy original .fmp12 files to device.

• 2. Re: FM Go 12 and FMP 13 Runtime Behavior
            Lasersol

Thanks for your reply.

This may be the case with FM 13 and FM Go 12 but it was not the case with previous versions. I have a solution that gets loaded onto a laptop and is configured by the user and then a companion copy runs under iOS. Always before, this worked smoothly and I was able to use my unique extension for my solution.

Now, I find that two things work... using the 'fmp12' or 'fmpur' extension. Neither allow my unique extension. If I use the fmp12 extension, then my runtime appears no differently than my master files. I remove the admin function from the runtime and I can only imagine if I went to work on my master files only to discover that I mixed up the runtime with the master since they had the same extension. Nightmare creating thoughts! So, I will go the fmpur route and forgo my uniqueness. I know the binding code works internally, but the external naming difference is lost.

Bottom line, I can work around, but since I have 12 years of documentation, manuals, backup routines, etc. working with all of the original filenames, it is causing extra work changing things that used to work perfectly. I have over 30,000 hours in this solution between two people and have been working with it since version 1.0 of FileMaker. Once things are working, I don't like making changes!

• 3. Re: FM Go 12 and FMP 13 Runtime Behavior
              wimdecorte

Lasersol wrote:

This may be the case with FM 13 and FM Go 12 but it was not the case with previous versions.

You are wrong.  No version of FM Go ever required you to create a runtime.

• 4. Re: FM Go 12 and FMP 13 Runtime Behavior
                Lasersol

Excuse me, but you did not read what I wrote. I never said that a runtime was needed with FM Go.

All I said was that the runtime that I created for the desktop ALSO ran on the first two versions of FM Go and that is a correct statement.

The suggestions being given to me now are:

1. Create a Runtime for the desktop

2. Use the Master files with FM Go.

That is two different sets of files.

It used to only require ONE set of files and they ran perfectly fine on the desktop AND under iOS with FM Go 10 and FM Go 12. Now, it does not work that way. For example, with FileMaker, you can open a runtime and work with it on our desktop. That is one of the reasons that I chose FileMaker. The first FM Go's allowed you to do that with the runtime.

It appears that FM Go 13 now looks ONLY for the extensions FMP12 and FMUSR and not your unique extension. That is different behavior than the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 versions.

I was speaking at a conference in Kyoto, Japan in 2010 and my host requested that I have an iPad version. At that time, QuickTime movies would not run on the iPad under FM Go.

Thanks to a suggestion from Jesse Barnum, I used Amazon Cloudfront. Amazon got the Asian Cloudfront working the week before my talk. So, I have been around the block a couple of times with FM Go.

The solution we are running started off with version 1.0 of FileMaker. It is still running today with 13 and on iOS.

I am immensely impressed.

• 5. Re: FM Go 12 and FMP 13 Runtime Behavior
                  rgordon

I understand your problem. Have you tried creating an opener file with a .fmp12 extension that has a script step to launch the runtime file?  Not sure if it will solve your problem but it might be worth trying.

• 6. Re: FM Go 12 and FMP 13 Runtime Behavior
                    Lasersol

Good suggestion. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: FM Go 12 and FMP 13 Runtime Behavior
                      Lasersol

There appears to be a problem with Apple iTunes as it copies the files over. They look OK in the iTunes list but once they get onto iOS, it looks as if iTunes explodes the internal FM Runtime module and there are dozens of .tif files and dictionaries and libraries showing up rather than just the solution files and the single runtime file. It seems that iTunes can only recognize the .fmp12 and .fmpur extensions???

I know that it would be simpler if I had one file with all my 135+ tables in the one file. But...'if it ain't broken, do not fix it' has kept me from totally rewriting.

• 8. Re: FM Go 12 and FMP 13 Runtime Behavior
                        rgordon

You're copying to much to the iPad. You only need to copy the data files. Not the runtime app.

• 9. Re: FM Go 12 and FMP 13 Runtime Behavior
                          Lasersol

Bingo! You are the winner!

Thank you.

This is different behavior than before but it works!  Also, why didn't I think of this? Thanks again.