5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2014 7:56 AM by bekenstein

GTRR Button Not Functioning As Needed

bekenstein

I am working on a db that will schedule individuals for appointments (table: Appointments) for people who will be seen at locations scheduled by the organization (table: Screening Events). I create a portal (table: Appointments) within each event record (table: Screening Event) through which the actual appointment time is selected and individual is assigned to that location. I am able to schedule individual and locations/events successfully. However, my step to get the individual from the initial appointment "intake form" (inidividual scheduler - Appointments) to the screening location is not working. I created a subsummary report that shows each screening location by date (table: Screening Events). I created the GTRR button (go to the specific layout needed, again, within the Screening Events table), but it only takes me to the first record.

Suggestions please.

• 1. Re: GTRR Button Not Functioning As Needed
          Stephen Huston

I suspect this has to do with the fact that your button is in a subsummary rather than on a portal row.

In a sub-sum, it takes you to the related records, but it doesn't know which one.

In a portal row, it takes you to the portal record in which the button was clicked.

If you have a context which allows you to capture the record info of the specific target record as the button is clicked on that record (perform script with script parameter supplied via the button), you can script the navigation to the correct record, with or without using the GTRR step, to be sure of landing in the right record.

Relying on a button which performs only the GTRR function requires that the button be in the exact context for the correct related record, usually a portal row.

• 2. Re: GTRR Button Not Functioning As Needed
            bekenstein

Thanks, I suspected this was the case.  Not being highly savvy with

scripting, all I want to do is say the Pk in this record/layout is the same

Pk in the record/layout that I want to navigate to.  Any suggestions for

achieving this.

Again, thanks.

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Stephen Huston <noreply@filemaker.com

• 3. Re: GTRR Button Not Functioning As Needed
              erolst

bekenstein wrote:

all I want to do is say the Pk in this record/layout is the same

Pk in the record/layout that I want to navigate to.

Put the button into the body part – that's where the individual records in your summary “are”. You could also capture an ID and perform a find in another layout – but if you are able to capture a specific key, then a GTRR should also work.

If that doesn't work, please post a file and/or some other enlightening material re the exact context where this action is supposed to take place – your description wasn't terribly clear.

• 4. Re: GTRR Button Not Functioning As Needed
                Stephen Huston

You could also simply script getting to the record you want, something along the lines of:

• Set Variable (set to the PK of the relted record you are capturing it from)
                • Go to Layout (where you want to view the related record)
                • Enter Find Mode
                • Set Field (PK  to the value of your variable
                • Perform Find (not saved)

That should land you where you want to be. Obviously, needs some fine tuning based on your specific file and data structure.

• 5. Re: GTRR Button Not Functioning As Needed
                  bekenstein

Thanks

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Stephen Huston <noreply@filemaker.com