4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2014 10:25 PM by Malcolm

FM Go ----> remote file accounts and passwords?

DEC

Hi Everybody!

Using Apple Configurator, I was able to install a web clip on the home screen of my client's IOS devices that opens the remote shared FM13 database being hosted by FMS13. It works perfectly, but rather than have the users use the little IOS keypad to frequently type in their account name and password, I'd like to be able to include their account name and password in the web clip itself, so that all they need do is tap the icon on their IOS home screen to get into the remote FM database.

I'm aware that if the IOS device falls into the wrong hands it's possible the database could be compromised; I administrate the phones using configurator, and so the security code is required on all IOS devices at our company.

The following URL states that the account name and password can be included in a script protocol that can included in the web clip, but it doesn't seem to state how this is achieved with fmp12 files.

An important note is that the script protocol used to open the database also includes instructions to activate the script within the database that transports the user to the applicable IOS layout. So the web clip script protocol needs to continue to activate that script as well as in addition supply the account name and password to open the database. The script protocol currently looks something like this:

FMP://192.168.10.0/Clients.fmp12?script=ListClients

If anyone has successfully achieved this, I'd much appreciate your help!

http://www.filemaker.com/help/12/fmp/html/sharing_data.16.7.html

-J

• 1. Re: FM Go ----> remote file accounts and passwords?
          DEC

I think that I solved it.  The script protocol that seems to be working is this:

FMP://Account Name:Password@192.168.10.0/Clients.fmp12?script=GotoIOSlayout

It seems important to NOT use the "%20" to cover spaces in the account name or password; it didn't work when I used that. 

Also, Apply configurator automatically edited the script protocol when I save the configuration profile; I had to re-open-it and edit it and re-save it in order to make it stick.

It's only gone through 10 minutes of testing, but it seems to work.  If anyone has any further thoughts, I'd much appreciate it, but this seems to be working : )

-J

• 2. Re: FM Go ----> remote file accounts and passwords?
            Malcolm

I'm aware that if the IOS device falls into the wrong hands it's possible the database could be compromised;

What about the account details being sent across the wire in plain text. Is that OK too?

Malcolm

• 3. Re: FM Go ----> remote file accounts and passwords?
              DEC

Couldn't say.  I'd much appreciate your thoughts on that.  Would you say that the majority of top Filemaker developers would never adopt this practice?  Say, platinum level folks?  I'd not like to do anything that would jeopardize the database, or that wouldn't be in keeping with the standards of the top developers.  Thanks!

• 4. Re: FM Go ----> remote file accounts and passwords?
                Malcolm

Lots of users complain about having to type their credentials, however, they are usually being paid to do so.

You will need clear instructions from a person who has responsibility before you proceed to over-ride the built-in security mechanisms provided by the software.

If you do get the go-ahead try to create a secure shortcut:

Deliver a fmpro file which is used solely as an opener for the remote file. Your web config file can point to this file. It can be delivered empty. On first run it prompts for a user name / password. It then creates a user account within itself and uses that to open the remote file. Subsequently, it will open up the remote file using the credentials stored within it.

Malcolm