5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2014 7:11 PM by LabsRock

Save a Copy as Self-contained copy

LabsRock

Hi All,

I'm trying to use the Save a Copy as Self-contained copy functionality to create a copy of a FM Server 12 hosted file with External Container data as a single copy with the container data embedded. I've tried several different ways to accomplish this, including closing the file on Server, opening it with a local copy of Pro Advanced (13) and saving it from that location to a different location. A copy is saved, but none of the container data is being included. Checking the Transfer.log I find an error that includes "field tablename::containerfieldname] Loading container data resulted in an error (10): Data missing"

Does anyone have suggestion as to what I might be doing wrong? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Craig

• 1. Re: Save a Copy as Self-contained copy
          wimdecorte

The only way you can do this is when the file is local, does not work on a hosted file.

When you open the file locally, the path to the remote container data is slightly differnent than when the file is hosted.  Easiest way to test this is to take the file locally, create a new record and insert something in a the container; then see where that gets saved.  Then move the existing container data into the same folder structure.

• 2. Re: Save a Copy as Self-contained copy
            LabsRock

Hi and thanks for your response.  My understanding was that in doing this it would create a new file that had all the existing container data included in it.  I did run locally by closing FileMaker Server and then opening it from the Databases folder using FM Pro Advanced to create the copy.

Shouldn't that have worked - it sounds like what you are suggesting.

Craig

• 3. Re: Save a Copy as Self-contained copy
              Stephen Huston

As wimdecorte mentioned, when opened locally, the path searched for container data is different than what the server uses internally, so container data placed by the server on its path is not in the path that FMPro uses when it treats the file as local, thus the "missing" data.

Try having the server run a new full backup, then copy that full backup folder from the server's location, and it should include the container data.

• 4. Re: Save a Copy as Self-contained copy
                wimdecorte

Craig Miller wrote:

Hi and thanks for your response.  My understanding was that in doing this it would create a new file that had all the existing container data included in it.  I did run locally by closing FileMaker Server and then opening it from the Databases folder using FM Pro Advanced to create the copy.

Shouldn't that have worked - it sounds like what you are suggesting.

Craig

The point that you are missing and that Stephen has re-emphasized is that the path to the external data is different when you have the file open locally vs. hosted.  What I've suggested is a quick way to see that difference and adjust the path to the external data.

And don't try to do this on the live file, even when you've closed it in FMS, as Stephen suggested, do this on a backup copy.

• 5. Re: Save a Copy as Self-contained copy
                  LabsRock

Okay, now it makes sense.  Thanks to both of you.

Craig