1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2014 4:57 PM by raycon

Layered fields problem

raycon

Hello,

I have a complex layout with multiple layered fields whose visibility is conditional on the contents of one key field. This works perfectly well in FMPro 13 and even Go, but not in Webdirect. When a "Type" is selected, the layout changes dynamically, one of the greatest improvements in 13 IMHO, and something I've used extensively.

Unfortunately it seems that (in WebDirect) when a field (or button) has another field above it, and the upper field is invisible, the lower (visible) field or button is not accessible. Scripts are not triggered by the visble but lower level buttons, and lower level but visible fields can not be "Clicked" into. You can tab into them if they're part of the tab order.

Am I missing something? I can't find anything about this in the documentation.

Help please.

Ray

• 1. Re: Layered fields problem
          AlanStirling

Hi Ray

I attended as many Web Direct sessions at DevCon in San Antonio as I could and one of the instructions was that ‘Stacked’ objects in Web Direct will not work. So in your case, I’m afraid that you will have to think of another way to get the functionality that you need, without using multiple objects.

Maybe you can put the two fields next to each other and use the visibility feature to show only one at a time?

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK.

• 2. Re: Layered fields problem
            raycon

Many thanks Alan.

I would very much have liked to attend DevCon but it just didn't pan out.

I was afraid this would be the case, because there is but zero anywhere on the web about it.  There's also nothing about it in the basic docs on Web direct.

Looks like I'm back to multiple cloned layouts and scripting between them, but I'm anticipating that all the work the server needs to do to display a layout will slow the whole thing down to an impossible level.  I also have an OnTimer script running to refresh the window every 60 seconds, and that alone causes lots of grief.

Thanks again for your prompt response.

Ray Constantine

• 3. Re: Layered fields problem
              Mike_Mitchell

Ray -

One option you could try is "invisible" tabs or slide panels. Switch between them using Script Triggers to achieve a similar effect.

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Layered fields problem
                raycon

Hi Mike,

That sounds helpfull.  I quickly investigated sliders but couldn't see a way to script changing between them.  No script step available?  Maybe a trigger?

How do you mean "invisible" tab panels?  Is there a paper on that somewhere?

Cheers,

Ray

Message was edited by: raycon  Hang on, maybe I know.  Cover the tab tops with some other layout object and switch with triggers......?  That would work, and much better than multiple layouts?

• 5. Re: Layered fields problem
                  Mike_Mitchell

Ray -

In both cases, you’ll use essentially the same technique.

1) Give each panel an object name.

2) Use Go to Object to navigate to the correct panel.

The “hidden” tab panel trick involves using tab panels with zero width tabs. When you do that, you can still address each tab panel by object name, but users can’t see them or click on them.

HTH

Mike

• 6. Re: Layered fields problem
                    raycon

Mike,

Clever trick.  Is there any advantage in one over the other?  Slider animation would be annoying but isn't available in WebD so thats not an issue for the user.  But does either method use less resources than the other?

Ray

• 7. Re: Layered fields problem
                      Mike_Mitchell

I find the slide panels easier to work with, simply because you don't have to fiddle around with the tab widths. You can suppress the animation if it annoys (as you say, not an issue on WD).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Layered fields problem
                        Mike_Mitchell

But to answer your other question, I'm not aware of any particular resource difference between them. Someone else may be.

• 9. Re: Layered fields problem
                          raycon

Great, thanks again Mike.

• 10. Re: Layered fields problem
                            raycon

Hi Mike,

I have to say, having spent the last several hours re-working this layout, your idea of sliders is a beauty.  Set it to minimal, turn off nav, and away you go.

There are eight sets of slightly varying objects all of which are visible conditionally.  (This is part of a radio comms log.) To ensure smooth transitions I've had to be precise to the point with the object dimensions and placement, but the slider trick fits nicely.

Thanks again,

Ray

• 11. Re: Layered fields problem
                              keywords

One of the beauties of using sliders is that you can control visibility of a bunch of elements with just one hiding formula on the panel itself.

• 12. Re: Layered fields problem
                                raycon

Thanks keywords,

I'm not sure if you're suggesting I could use that here,  but in my app i would need to control the visibility of each panel individually, not the whole eight panels at once, and i can do this with an on-record load trigger plus an on modify trigger on the the conditional field to swap between panels.  Mike was right, it's an elegant solution, just means a lot of duplicate objects and tab orders to deal with.  This one is a bit like building with lego layers.  :-)

Ray

• 13. Re: Layered fields problem
                                  keywords

You are right, visibility applies to the whole set, but you can create separate, single panel slide control objects and assign each one its own visibility formula. If your visibility options are mutually exclusive (ie. only one will be visible in any given state) then you can stack them on top of each other and only the currently applicable one will be visible. This approach would not work, obviously, if there was a state in which more than one would be visible.

• 14. Re: Layered fields problem
                                    Mike_Mitchell

That might not work, given the environment is WebDirect. I don’t believe stacked objects will resolve in that environment.

Could be wrong, but I believe that’s the case.

1 2 Previous Next