5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 7:12 AM by MattLeach

Errors Exporting Container Data

MattLeach

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. Using a combination of TwainSave and FileMaker, i've implemented a scanning solution into our database that has been functioning flawlessly for 2 years. The database is FM13 hosted by FM13 Server.

A little background on how it works:

TwainSave is a command line utility that calls the scanner using a batch file with a few parameters (more info here: http://www.dynarithmic.com/details_twainsave.html). I have a batch file setup that calls my particular scanner and saves the scan into c: empimage.tif. Everything being scanned is a TIF group 4.

There is a script which is called with a click of a button:

Send Event ["aevt"; "odoc"; "scan.bat"]

Pause/Resume Script [indefinitely]

#

Go to Field [Documents::image]

Insert Picture ["image.tif"]

The document gets scanned and placed into the container field and all is good. The container field is stored externally, relative to [hosted location]/Files/Documents/ and is using Secure storage.

In the future if anyone wants to view the document, they simply click a button to view it which runs the following script:

Set Variable [$temppath; Value:Get ( TemporaryPath )]

Export Field Contents [Documents::image; "image.tif"; Automatically open]

Recently we've added another computer to do some scanning which uses the same exact process, however there is an issue.

page document that gets scanned in from the new computer, no other computer can view the document. Single page documents work just fine. When i click the button to view which runs the script to export it to temp path and open, i get an error stating: "Container fields cannot be exported". If i right click in the container field, the export option is greyed out. However, this DOES NOT happen on the computer that it was scanned in from.

It does not matter which user does the scanning, as long as it is done from the new computer, no other computer can view it.

Now if i take that multipage document and export it from the computer it was scanned in from, then open that exported document into an image editor and save it (which basically saves only the first page) it then works on other machines.

The only difference between the new scanning computer and the existing scanning computer is that the existing one is Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and the new one is Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.

For troubleshooting this is what i have done:

1. Ive scanned the same document from bother machines and viewed the container field data as text to see if there are any differences:

from existing machine:

remote:image.tif

size:2552,3300

JPEG:Secure/0B/77/45AEFFA3/B2B51F72/F2B0CB27/46D6

TIFF:Secure/50/52/767F16B5/B7D2D1D8/9AA088C6/BA4F

from new machine:

remote:image.tif

size:2528,3300

DPI:300

JPEG:Secure/E8/AC/7F1BE652/E2605F52/CAB3EAE3/255F

TIFF:Secure/A4/8A/070E39E9/801CB7E6/A5219537/C33A

2. I've scanned the document natively without TWAINSave with the scanner utility and imported the image into the container, no change

At this point my only assumption is to chalk it up to an issue with Windows 8.1

• 1. Re: Errors Exporting Container Data
          MattLeach

Now to add an interesting discovery:

As noted above, when the batch file is called it saves the scan to c:\temp\image.tif which is then imported into the container field.

I took that image.tif to another computer, right clicked on the container field and selected import picture. I selected the image.tif and saved the record. I then ran my view script which exports the image and IT WORKS! Also, if i right click in the container field, the export option is there.

I followed those same steps on the Windows 8.1 machine that originally scanned the document and it DOES NOT work. Is it possible there is an issue with Windows 8.1 inserting a picture into a container?

• 2. Re: Errors Exporting Container Data
            MattLeach

Just wanted to add a correction.

I did not have another windows 8.1 machine to test with so i brought one in today.

If the image in inserted into the container field using a computer with windows 8.1, IT CAN be viewed by other Windows 8.1 computers, nothing else.

So it seems Windows 8.1 is the key issue.

• 3. Re: Errors Exporting Container Data
              pmconaway

Matt, it looks to me to be a settings issue possible with the scanning software. The new machine has an additional DPI setting in the text values for the image while the existing machine doesn't. Can you check to see if the defaults for the scanning software for a tif image are the same or can be made the same.

Paul

• 4. Re: Errors Exporting Container Data
                MattLeach

I thought that too but any document i scan that is a single page has that DPI line as well and there are no issues with single page scans.

I did a quick test though which was interesting

If i take the image.tif and insert into the container from another computer as mentioned before, i do not have that extra line with DPI and those are working.

It appears i only get that DPI line when inserting from the 8.1 machine.

But the question is can that be the reason because if that's the case, using that logic, the single page scans should not be viewable either.

• 5. Re: Errors Exporting Container Data
                  MattLeach

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

It turns out that it was do to a version incompatability with FileMaker.

On my Windows 8.1 machine, which i am scanning from, i am running FileMaker 13. All of the computers that i was having issues with were still FileMaker 12. The original scanning machine was FileMaker 12 as well. The other 8.1 machine that i tested this morning was FileMaker 13.

Updated the others to 13, now they are working.