6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2014 11:37 AM by ryantittle

Question about a FMSA Web Publishing Error

ryantittle

For the client in question, we are running FileMaker Server Advanced v 12.0.5.551 on a Mac Mini with Mavericks.

Every once in a while, the log viewer shows an Web Publishing Core Error of 'i.p. address - - "/fmi/iwp/cgi?-authinfo" 500 10356' Although I never really knew what it meant, it never seemed like too much of a cause for concern. However, yesterday the error was thrown over 100 times in about 15 minutes. I've tried googling it to no avail. Can anyone shed any light on what this error means/what might cause it/how much I should be concerned?

It should be noted that the error in question showed up other times in the day, but the 100 or so of them in that 15 minutes all showed the same i.p. address.

Thanks,

Ryan

• 1. Re: Question about a FMSA Web Publishing Error
          Malcolm

I haven’t had to use -authinfo in CWP. I don’t see it documented as a parameter. The authinfo file is used in Gnu to store credentials and google says that there is a Java class called authinfo. I suspect that it is a fishing expedition.

Have you tried a search on the IP to see where it originates? Internal or External?

Malcolm

• 2. Re: Question about a FMSA Web Publishing Error
            ryantittle

Thanks for responding. The i.p. was from a client's office. We have offices throughout that country that have a few employees and govt workers each that tap in via IWP, and there were three known users in the log viewer showing that IP. The errors don't seem related to login attempts, but rather popped up amidst rather benign looking strings of information from the same IP in the logs. I'm not familiar with Gnu. Not sure if it matters since we are using IWP and not CWP but I'll take any lead at this point. The web publishing engine crashed a little later in the day, and while the time in between makes me think they may not be related, I want to look at every possiblity.

The regular FileMaker error codes are easy to sort through, I just wish I could find better documentation on the web publishing errors seen on the admin console. You seem to have found some things through google that I missed. I suppose I need to start searching for key words without necessarily including FileMaker in my search terms.

With any luck the planned rollover to WebDirect in the coming months will lessen these concerns.

Thanks,

Ryan

• 3. Re: Question about a FMSA Web Publishing Error
              Malcolm

I’ve just looked at our FMS11 server logs because there are a couple of IWP solutions there. The -authinfo string is there. It’s clearly coming from our IWP users. My guess is that we are looking at the URL query string and that there is a POSTed bundle of user credentials attached to that.

I wouldn’t be too fussed. 100 authentication attempts in 15 mins is most likely the result of a click-frenzy on a frozen screen.

Malcolm

• 4. Re: Question about a FMSA Web Publishing Error
                user19752

In normal state, "/fmi/iwp/cgi?-authinfo" returns simple javascript code like as

authinfo = {realm: 'FileMaker', guest: 'yes', retrycount: '0', dbpath: ''};

Error 500 means 'internal server error', it is occured in 'cgi' program, so we can't see what happend since the program is binary.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Question about a FMSA Web Publishing Error
                  ryantittle

That makes sense. Thanks for the help.