4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 3:01 PM by keywords

Portal Question

schwinnfinnegan

I have a portal for correspondence that uses a simple drop down for type with a field for the creation time and date stamp plus a notes field. I have it set to sort descending so that newest is at the top. The portal can show 5 records at once, so when it comes time to enter the sixth record the blank that you type into requires you to scroll to the bottom. How do I get that to stay at the top before the displayed records?

• 1. Re: Portal Question
          MattLeach

Since it is sorted by the date/time field, when you create a new record, it goes to the bottom as those fields are empty or not committed yet.

If those fields are auto-enter fields, you could script it to automatically save the record which would commit the record and sort it as the newest.

• 2. Re: Portal Question
            erolst

schwinnfinnegan wrote:

How do I get that to stay at the top before the displayed records?

You can't – it's alway at the bottom.

Having said that: you can duplicate the portal, make it one row, put in on top of the existing portal, and add a filter not ( PortalTO::primaryKey ) (or isEmpty () if your key is text).

Your other portal will still have the spare row at the bottom; you cannot get rid of that by a filter, since it's an attribute of the relationship itself.

To do that, you need a second relationship that is identical to the first one, except that it will not allow creation of related records. Then stack them like so.

AllowRelationshipPortal [ 1 row, filter: not ( PortalTO::primaryKey ) ]

-----------

DisallowRelationshipPortal [ n rows ]

On the other hand, you could simply script the creation of a new record process and use a button above the portal:

Go to Object [ objectNameOfYourPortal ]

Go to Portal Row [ last ]

Go to Field [ objectNameOfYourDropDownField ]

… at which point no new record is created yet, but you're where you wanted to be.

• 3. Re: Portal Question
              schwinnfinnegan

Thanks to erolst for a simple solution.

• 4. Re: Portal Question
                keywords

Thanks from me too. Erolst posted this duplicate relationship solution in another thread a few months ago and I have found it hugely useful. Big pat on the back from me.