3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2014 1:22 PM by nbellisario

Multiple fields pasted in a single field

nbellisario

I need help from you experienced Filemaker users out there. I have designed a layout where I have our customer's company name, first names, last names, addresses etc..., all in seperate fileds. I would like to (with only one button) select all of these seperate fields and paste them in a single field combining all of them at the same time. The reason is that I need the customer's info to be pasted on another layout.

I'v seen someone do it by clicking on a button which sends the seperated fields to the clipboard and you just paste it into a single field. I don't know how that's done.

Best Regards to all and hoping for some ideas.

Thanks

Norm

• 1. Re: Multiple fields pasted in a single field
          erolst

nbellisario wrote:

I'v seen someone do it by clicking on a button which sends the seperated fields to the clipboard and you just paste it into a single field.

Hopefully that's only your perception, and not what actually happened. You should normally try to avoid the clipboard at all costs – using it may come as a nasty surprise to a user who will rightly regard their own clipboard contents as more important then some temporaray data; also, script steps that use the clipboard require the fields involved to be on the layout, which may or may not be the case (and often isn't even desired).

Use $variables and Set Field[] instead. e.g.

Set Variable [ $addressBlock ; List ( Customers::field1 ; Customers::field2 ) // etc. )

Go to Layout [ AnotherLayout ( AnotherTable ) ]

Set Field [ AnotherTable::targetField ; $addressBlock ]

The other question: why do you need these data on another layout (and, presumably, in another table)? Is this an invoice, and you want to capture the client data as a snapshot in time to guard against future changes?

In almost all other scenarios, setting a foreign key and displaying the related data is the way to go in a relational database.

• 2. Re: Multiple fields pasted in a single field
            Stephen Huston

I agree with erolst that this sounds like a mistake to do with data. Proper database design should make this info available on related records via a relationship.

If it something like an Invoice, where you want to capture existing data at a specific point it time, even it were later updated in the source record but not in the Invoice archive, then you can do that with Scripted Set Field steps, where you use a calculation to set the values to be Set (not pasted) into a record's field.

This could also be done using Lookups (an auto-enter feature) for pulling/capturing data across a relationship when you enter the chosen client into an invoice, for instance, and the adressing info follows into the invoice addressing fields via the lookups.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Multiple fields pasted in a single field
              nbellisario

Thanks erolst, took me a little while to get it but it works perfectly.