8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2014 11:56 AM by ariley

Tabs or buttons ?

nbellisario

I'm trying to design a small business template with various pages like Customer info, Quotation template, Order template, packing slip, Projects etc... I had done this with a much older Filemaker versions. Now that I have Filemaker 13, I'm wondering if it's better to use "Tabs" with the various templates I need or to use "Buttons" which brings me to different layouts for each of them all together.

What's the advantage or disadvantage in using tabs versus buttons??

Thanking you in advance for your opinion on this.

Norm

• 1. Re: Tabs or buttons ?
          DavidJondreau

By "buttons" you really mean layouts. The advantage of different layouts is they can be based on different table occurrences.

Tabs are nice if you're collecting data around a single "type" of information.

Customer Info and Quotation Templates should be on different layouts.

On the Customer Info layout, you may want tabs for things like "Contact Info" "Past Orders"

Hope that helps.

• 2. Re: Tabs or buttons ?
            erolst

nbellisario wrote:

various pages like Customer info, Quotation template, Order template, packing slip, Projects etc..

I think there is a misconception: each of these entities will belong to (or more to the point, be) a different table. You can see from the relationship

Table --< TO --< Layout --< Tabs

that a layout can have many tabs (or tab objects), but each tab (object) belongs to one layout, and thus, to one TO/table.

So you cannot use a single tab object to switch between tables / layouts (though you can place portals to different related TOs into different tabs).

• 3. Re: Tabs or buttons ?
              ariley

No, but you can use the popvers to save time from "traveling".

Tabs can show you related data for one customer, so you could see:

• Orders
              • Invoices Due/All
              • Shipping Addresses
              • Employees
              • Notes/Calls

Those would all come from different table occurrences that are tied to your customer. And from the orders tab you can take the user to a new layout with a button to create a new order.

Hope this helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tabs or buttons ?
                keywords

Some of the pages you mention (pages like Customer info, Quotation template, Order template, packing slip, Projects etc..) sound llike they would be for the purpose of printing, which would obviously need to be separtate layouts designed for that purpose. If you investigate and experiment you will no doubt come up with mixture. But since you are now using FM13 don't confine yourself to tabs only; investigate slide controls and popovers also.

• 5. Re: Tabs or buttons ?
                  Stephen Huston

And keep in mind that there can be overhead from adding things to tabs, which can have an impact on network performance, which is even more dramatic with WAN than LAN connections.

Placing portals in mutliple tabs can trigger record-caching from multiple tables. Avoid placing portals on any layout where they're not needed. This will improve network performance in the long run. It may not seem to make any difference when testing on a local machine, but it can be dramatically different on a live network.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Tabs or buttons ?
                    nbellisario

Thank you all for your suggestion.  So if I understand , I should create buttons which would send me to a different table/layout for let's say "order entry" and the same for writing a quotation and tie them all with the relationship etc.

Then I could have a "tab" in the customer layout just to view the data that was entered in the quotation for this particular customer but not to be used to make a quotation for the customer. Kind of what Agnes has in her reply.  Am I explaining this properly ?

• 7. Re: Tabs or buttons ?
                      Stephen Huston

nbellisario wrote, in part:

Then I could have a "tab" in the customer layout just to view the data that was entered in the quotation for this particular customer but not to be used to make a quotation for the customer.

More typically, since you will eventually have multiple quotes for repeat customers, you would want a tab in the customer screen showing a list of their quotes in a portal, with buttons in each portal row which go to a layout for the details of that specific quote, rather than one quote's details in a customer tab.

• 8. Re: Tabs or buttons ?
                        ariley

Or if you're in FM 13 you can just add a popover to show the quote details

from the selected portal row.