3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2014 10:50 PM by dsvail

Automatic filling of a field with a pre-established value

jprochniak

Hello everyone. Newbie here has another question for the group and it is as follows: How do I go about automatically filling field based on selections made in conditional lists?

For example, I have a series of 3 conditional lists for repair codes on an aircraft. By selecting an "aircraft" I can only select a "chapter/code" associated with that aircraft which in turn allows me to only select an "item" specific to all of the former. Ultimately the "MEL Code" can only be one thing, either A, B, C, or D....this is only based on the "Item." In the table in which all the conditional lists are based, I have made an entry for "MEL Code." This particular item is strictly based on what "item" is selected and I'd like it filled automatically rather than being user selected.

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 4.23.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 5.20.30 PM.png

I guess another way of putting it is I need to fill the "MEL Code" box with a non-variable and pre-established value. Much like my second example, the "CG Range" can only be a pre-establised number based on the aircraft make/model and registration. I'm thinking this whole process is going to be a lookup of some sort but I just can't seem to get it to function properly

I hope that description makes sense. Any help that you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

John

• 1. Re: Automatic filling of a field with a pre-established value
          dmb_fmp

Hi - the first thing that came to mind for your Item/MEL Code question was to create another table that has two fields: (1) Items & (2) MEL Codes.

My understanding is that there are only 4 possible MEL Codes: A, B, C, or D.

Accordingly, in this new table you could list all of your items in the Items field, and the corresponding MEL Codes for each item in the MEL Codes field.

Then create a relationship between your original table & the new table based on items.

Relationship.png

In your layout about, change the field showing your MEL Codes to the related table's MEL Codes field and that should take care of it - the related MEL Codes will automatically be filled whenever an item from your original table matches an item in the new table.

Layouts.png

• 2. Re: Automatic filling of a field with a pre-established value
            dmb_fmp

Attached is the FMP file I made & of which I took the pics. If you type one of the existing items in _kp_Item field, it will auto-populate its related MEL Code in the Related MEL Codes field.

For example, if you type "Cat" in the item field & hit tab, the MEL Code "A" will appear.

• 3. Re: Automatic filling of a field with a pre-established value
              dsvail

I'm assuming that this data is one table with fields for aircraft, chapter/code, item and MEL code with the MEL code being a unique value ...like a part number.   One way to do it would be to setup conditional value lists based on user choice ...that simulates drilling down to get to the MEL code by creating relationships in the relationships graph to this table. 

Example: TOG is table on the relationship graph :

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 11.38.55 PM.png

(1) Main Table (cartesian join) 'x' Repair Code Table ..to lookup all aircraft choices. Value List is "use values form field from the TOG (Repair Code Table) you created 

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 11.41.12 PM.png

(2) Make another TOG Main Table (aircraft) '='  Repair Code Table (aircraft) ... to lookup Chapter/Code options for the aircraft chosen *make sure that in your value list for this field references the TOG you created and  "include only related values starting from the Main Table (the LOOKUP Table) is chosen

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 11.42.13 PM.png

(3) Make another TOG > Main Table (aircraft) '=' Repair Code Table (aircraft) 'AND' Main Table (Chapter/Code) '=' Repair Code Table (Chapter/Code) *again make sure that in your value list for this field references the TOG you created and  "include only related values starting from the Main Table is chosen

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 11.43.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 11.47.09 PM.png

(4) Make another TOG>Main Table (aircraft) '=' Repair Code Table (aircraft) 'AND' Main Table (Chapter/Code) '=' Repair Code Table (Chapter/Code) 'AND' Main Table (Item) '=' Repair Code Table (Item) ......the MEL Code unique value will show without user input after the other fields have values

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 11.44.21 PM.png