1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2014 3:35 PM by rmittelman

Slide Panel on List View

rmittelman

I found this great article: http://www.seedcode.com/filemaker-13-animated-slide-panels/#comment-108884 on SeedCode, showing how to have a dashboard-type panel slide out from the left when you tap a button on your layout. This is a good technique for a jazzy UI.

So here is the challenge: This works fine in form view, but not in list view. When I attempt to paste the slide panel on the layout, it forces me to increase the size of the detail section to accommodate the entire slide panel, or it refuses to paste it in the layout.. As you can imagine, this type of UI object should pop out over several detail records in list view.

Is there any way to paste in an object that is larger than the detail section without resizing that section? Thanks...

• 1. Re: Slide Panel on List View
          DavidZakary

I haven't tried this yet, but I will, what about adding a trailing grand summary part to the layout? It would only show up at the very end of the list and might give you the space you need.

• 2. Re: Slide Panel on List View
            DavidZakary

Nope. The slide panel gets clipped at the bottom of each record.

• 3. Re: Slide Panel on List View
              rgordon

You could put the slide panel in a popover.

• 4. Re: Slide Panel on List View
                rmittelman

Yes, I could, but that would change the look and feel.  A popover needs a popover button, and the popover itself pops out of the button on one of its edges, with an arrow shape pointing back to the button, right?  What I'm after is a "drawer" opening from the left edge of the layout.  A slide panel is perfect for this, with first page blank and transparent, and second page containing the buttons or other controls to make visible when a trigger button is clicked.

I wonder if there's a way to use a different layout without borders, aligned to the left edge of the main layout?  I will try that...

Thanks for the answer...

• 5. Re: Slide Panel on List View
                  rgordon

Popover are pretty amazing things to use.  As you are finding the slide control is constrained by the size of the layout part where a popover does not have this limitation. If you place the slide control in the popover it is not constrained by the size of the layout part. In general I hide popover buttons and open them from a Go to Object script step.  This allows me to place the popover where ever I want.  Popover also do not need to have the pointed arrow.

• 6. Re: Slide Panel on List View
                    rmittelman

Hey rgordon, this is indeed a good possibility.  A couple of concerns:

1: I could not find how to hide the arrow, but if I remove the border lines, of course the arrow goes away also.  If there's not a better way, this will suffice.

2: I want the "drawer" to slide out from the left edge of the layout.  I can't get the popover to the exact left edge in layout mode.  If I drag the popover edge to the layout edge, it jumps back to about 1/16 or 1/8 inch in from the layout edge when I let go of it.  This makes it look strange when the "drawer" opens.  Any way you know of to force it to the left edge of the layout?

Thanks...

• 7. Re: Slide Panel on List View
                      rgordon

1: I could not find how to hide the arrow, but if I remove the border lines, of course the arrow goes away also.  If there's not a better way, this will suffice.

The way you are doing it would be the way I would do it.

2: I want the "drawer" to slide out from the left edge of the layout.  I can't get the popover to the exact left edge in layout mode.  If I drag the popover edge to the layout edge, it jumps back to about 1/16 or 1/8 inch in from the layout edge when I let go of it.  This makes it look strange when the "drawer" opens.  Any way you know of to force it to the left edge of the layout?

Not sure about this but you can make the popover button as small as 1 point.  If you made it smaller, will it do what you want.

• 8. Re: Slide Panel on List View
                        rmittelman

Thanks for the reply.  As for point number 2:

Like us guys like to think, size doesn't matter.   No matter how small I resize the popover button itself, the actual popover will not go all the way to the left side of the layout.  There is about a 1/16th inch gap.  If I double-click the popover button in design mode, showing the popover itself, then slide the popover button right and left, the popover follows the buttons movement.  Eventually it gets to within 1/16" from the left edge, and thereafter the popover button can move left, but not the popover itself.  Likewise, when I give the popover the focus and grab the handle on left border to slide it closer to left edge of layout, it seems to work, but the moment I let go of the handle, it snaps back a bit to the right.

I'm guessing I'll either have to live with that little border, or figure out a way to make a separate layout with the slide panel, but somehow figure out how to render it without the status bar area AND without the grey top border and close button.

• 9. Re: Slide Panel on List View
                          nickchapin

Have you checked the padding on the objects in question?

• 10. Re: Slide Panel on List View
                            rmittelman

Yes, both for popover and popover content I've set the padding to 0.  Doesn't help.

So up to now, I've tried reducing the size of the popover button, moving it, and manually dragging the left edge of the popover to the 0 Left position on the layout, all to no avail.

I'm guessing popovers have some type of intrinsic outer padding with relation to the layout edge.  I notice that if I format the detail section with a 6-point border on the left only, it ends up looking "sort of" ok.  Still not optimal, however.

Thanks...

• 11. Re: Slide Panel on List View
                              keywords

Is the behaviour any different in Form view?

• 12. Re: Slide Panel on List View
                                rmittelman

Same exact behavior.  The closest I can get the popover is about 6 points from the left edge.  If necessary, I'll just have to live with that.  Doesn't make for a great looking dashboard "drawer" sliding out from the left...

• 13. Re: Slide Panel on List View
                                  rgordon

Instead of placing the popover button on the far left side, try placing the popover button to the right so than when the popover opens the left side of the popover will align with the left side of the layout. 

• 14. Re: Slide Panel on List View
                                    vince.menanno

Rmittelman,

From your info looks like you are a windows expert and hoping someone on this list who is a windows expert can also chime in and add an example of this. So at first I was also enamoured by the slide panel technique. But then I noticed that for it to work you would need to pause your script just enough so that you can read the message. Not that big of a deal but if the user likes to go from one task to another I have noticed that you can get the solution to be in a paused state.

Then Simon gave me an AppleScript example that uses the OS notifications system to provide the feedback - and I appologize that I don't have the windows equivalent but I am hoping some windows expert on this list will provide the windows equivalent of this.

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 7.27.13 AM.png

The reason I like the OS notifications solution is that it can get dispatched and your script doesn't need to have a pause step in it.

Windows also has something very similar and you coudl probably use that - then it won't matter if you are in list view or form view.

Here is the post that includes the file.

Cheers - Vince

1 2 Previous Next