9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2014 8:19 PM by shelton356

Help separating groups

shelton356

I have a list of students in the following categories. Kids, pretend, and teens. The data from the groups upload fine but I created a tab for kids that shows all the data for kids and so on. When I upload the data for all the groups, pretend and teens data also appears in the kids tab. Is there a way to separate kids, preteens, and teens so when I click on kids all I see is the data for kids and so on for the other two groups.

• 1. Re: Help separating groups
          erolst

Please describe how your database is structured, i.e. what tables you have, how you are displaying the data, and what “upload” means in this context.

• 2. Re: Help separating groups
            shelton356

thank for the reply. i have three tables one for students, notes, schools. My layout is like this. I have a tab for kids, preteens, and teens. So when i click on the tab for kids, all the information for the teens and preeteens can be seen when i click through the kids. And when i click on teens, and start clicking through the fileds i also see the information for kids and preeteens. Should i just create a table for kids, preteens, and teens and on the spreadsheets just have a column that state if the students are kids, preteens, or teens. If you like i can email you my FMD and you can see what i'm taking about.

• 3. Re: Help separating groups
              erolst

shelton356 wrote:

Should i just create a table for kids, preteens, and teens and on the spreadsheets just have a column that state if the students are kids, preteens, or teens.

Absolutely; if you want to distinguish/filter student records by an attribute like “age category”, you have to add and populate it.

Having said that: why do different age groups have different fields? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by “spreadsheet” – table view?

If you like, you can post your (compressed) file here, by clicking “Advanced Editor” and using the upload tool. Maybe tell a bit more about what you're trying to model/manage in this database.

btw: the question is not answered; maybe remove that flag from the thread …

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Help separating groups
                FM-K12

There are at least a half a dozen ways( or more) that you could use to solve your problem – if my assumptions are correct.

Since you have a single students table and you are “uploading” data, then I assume that you are pulling the data out of a SIS and that all students are in that table (Kids, pretend, and teens) and that some of these students will have data in some fields and not in others. 

As another user posted, you need a field that lets you disaggregate the data into the three sub-groups.  If there is no such field in your table then you need to create a calculation field for that purpose.

You could solve this current issue with three separate student tables, but that would create all sorts of layout design issues and would make life difficult for any users who need to simultaneously see two of the three sets of students or all in a single set of records.   Also, this would make your data uploading tasks more difficult.

Another approach would be to use the single table that you have and create three scripted searches –running them with script triggers – when a user selects a tab panel or moves to a layout.

Another method would be to use a UI (user interface) table with a global field and a relationship as a sort of “pivot” that would allow  users to select which set of related records they would see on the base part of the layout.

Making the above decision (about which approach) will help you figure out what you base layout is going to look like, etc.

But before you get too far in this, you need to know who your users are (as groups) and then figure out what each needs to see and be able to do and what level(s) of database skills/knowledge they possess. In short, is their data model limited to a single Excel spreadsheet or do they “get” working with connected data? This information should factor heavily in your decision about which design structure to implement.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Help separating groups
                  erolst

FM-K12 wrote:

if my assumptions are correct.

If they aren't, you've just written the Great American Novel for naught.

• 6. Re: Help separating groups
                    FM-K12

Sorry - I didn't realize that I was following God's gift to FileMaker!

Have at it genius- the field is all yours.

• 7. Re: Help separating groups
                      erolst

FM-K12 wrote:

Sorry - I didn't realize that I was following God's gift to FileMaker!

Have at it genius- the field is all yours.

Poor chap, what happened to your sense of humour? Too much K-12?

EDIT: Let me try this on a less flippant note:

I was simply making a whimsical remark as to the distinct possibility that your response, for all its inherent quality, may have been a bit premature.

Therefore I'm not sure why you draw any further conclusions from that, and I find your tone of voice entirely inappropriate.

• 8. Re: Help separating groups
                        shelton356

thanks for the replies, will take what was mention and rework what i was doing. thanks again.

• 9. Re: Help separating groups
                          shelton356

how do i remove the flag from the thread