4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2015 1:38 PM by ceath

FMS 13/Macintiosh  = "Cannot contact web server" - Maverick's issue?

user5571

We have a FIleMaker 13 Server that stop communicating with the webserver (was working last week). I'm suspecting that IT may have upgraded the Server or OS and that broke things.

Any ideas on how to trouble-shoot or fix this issue? See attached screenshot.

• 1. Re: FMS 13/Macintiosh  = "Cannot contact web server" - Maverick's issue?
          DavidZakary

If the server machine is running OS X Server - FMS and OS X Server don't play particulalry well together. The two web server technologies seem to step on each other. I've had the same problem. The easiest thing to do (for me) was to either do a re-deploy (worked a few times) or a complete FMS re-install (when the re-deploy didn't work). Thankfully the re-install of FMS ususally doesn't take very long.

If you are using OS X Server - turn off all of the services you don't need. Remember to back up the bits of FMS that you can (files, schedules) before doing the fixex.

• 2. Re: FMS 13/Macintiosh  = "Cannot contact web server" - Maverick's issue?
            wimdecorte

If you don't have OSX Server installed, verify with netstat what application/daemon has port 80 9and 443) open, then work from there.  FMS installs its own instance of Apache but if something else is using ports 80 and 443 then not all FMS features will work.

• 3. Re: FMS 13/Macintiosh  = "Cannot contact web server" - Maverick's issue?
              wimdecorte

One thing to try is to stop OSX's default Apache and then start FMS's

sudo apachectl stop

sudo /Library/Filemaker\ Server/HTTPServer/bin/httpdctl graceful

• 4. Re: FMS 13/Macintiosh  = "Cannot contact web server" - Maverick's issue?
                ceath

Hi,

Looking for a little help related to this issue. 

I'm trying to install FileMaker Server 13 on a new Mac Mini and I'm getting stuck at the point where the deployment wizard is testing port 80.  I've done several clean installs and nothing else is running on the Mac Mini (it is brand new, out of the box, running Yosemite). 

I've done the

sudo apachectl stop

command to make sure Apache had been stopped.  Netstat tells me that port 80 is bound, but I can't figure out how to get the FileMaker Server 13 installation to take care of it.  I had no problems installing FileMaker Server 13 on a Mac Mini running Mavericks six months ago or so.

I'm not familiar with the

sudo /Library/Filemaker\ Server/HTTPServer/bin/httpdctl graceful

command.  What does that do?  Is that what you'd advise trying next?  Any other ideas or diagnostic tools I could run?

Thanks!