2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2014 4:12 PM by dmb_fmp

Opening PDF and PowerPoint files with one click from FileMaker Go

CarstenLevin

We are creating a sales-support solution for a customer.

FileMaker will have a lot of PPT's and PDF's stored in container fields.

We need to be able to show those files in MS PowerPoint for iOS/iPad. And we need to have them to open in one procedure after the user click the button in FileMaker Go: "Show Presentation".

Not via an extra iOS dialog where you have to choose/accept to open in PowerPoint or PDF reader.

Has anyone solved this?

Best regards

Carsten

• 1. Re: Opening PDF and PowerPoint files with one click from FileMaker Go
          dmb_fmp

I've had some experience with the PDF part of your solution, but not the Power Point.

Attached is an FMGo solution for the PDF part of your sales-support solution. When you tap the button that says "Tap Here to View PDF", it opens the PDF in an iOS device's native PDF viewer.

• 2. Re: Opening PDF and PowerPoint files with one click from FileMaker Go
            dmb_fmp

After rereading your post, I started to focus on the aspect of opening conained PPTs & PDFs in the specific PowerPoint & PDF Reader apps. I have had no success with skipping the "choose/accept" iOS dialogue when trying to view PPTs (I gave this a try after my post above) & PDFs outside of FMGo.

If that is possible at this time, it would be very exciting. Best I've been able to do so far is skip the "view" dialgoue, and staying within the FMGo app as in the example I attached earlier.

I was successful getting this to work for PPTs much in the same way as for PDFs - though any special visual effects contained in a PPT are lost...it basically just lets you view a PPT as a plain old PDF. In any event, if you find the PDF solution helpful, I am happy to provide a PPT version for you as well.