8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2014 1:11 AM by DEC

Externally stored container contents vanish.

DEC

Hi Everybody!

I'm experiencing a strange anomaly using FMP 13 Advanced. I like to create a "Global Settings" table wherein I can store all the icons I use for that particular solution. I've not done anything differently, but I've found that when I finish inserting the files into the corresponding fields, they are not there went I go back to the Global Settings layout. Doesn't seem to matter whether they're stored locally or externally, or whether or not they're global. They're gone, with one caveat: SOME of them do appear when I restart the database. I restarted enough times to get half of them visible. The rest remain vanished.

Any ideas? They're all png files.

Thanks!

-D

• 1. Re: Externally stored container contents vanish.
          keywords

Can you explain more clearly what you mean by "they are not there went I go back to the Global Settings layout"?

Regardless of that, you should:

1.     Have a single record in your Global Settings table, with a standard (i.e. NOT global) field for each item you want to store in the table—and I would recommend using FM's external secure storage for containers

2.     Create a matching GLOBAL field for each standard field and create a script to populate these from the standard fields each time the file opens

If you do that and you still have a problem, continue with you post.

• 2. Re: Externally stored container contents vanish.
            DEC

#1 is confirmed.  I'll try #2 first thing; strange that the fields in other tables retain their contents without #2, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong.  In any case, many thanks for your help; I'll circle back with the results : )

• 3. Re: Externally stored container contents vanish.
              keywords

It is still not clear what you mean by fields not retaining their contents. FM is a predictable beast and doesn't do this kind of randomness. As you say, perhaps it is something you are doing. Post a sample file if you need to.

• 4. Re: Externally stored container contents vanish.
                DEC

Many thanks for your help; this totally did the trick!  I'm going to study my other solutions to find out why the containers are retaining their contents without the implementation of the start-up script, as the start-up script delays the process of opening the database a little bit, but not by a period of time that will be excruciating to the user.  If I can figure it out, I'll reply to this thread.  All the best to you and yours!

-D

• 5. Re: Externally stored container contents vanish.
                  keywords

One thing you have not said is whether any of the files you are refering to are hosted. You will not get changed global values to persist in a hosted environment—that is why recommended practice is what I described earlier. It is possible that your other files appear to behave differently because they are not hosted, or were not when the globals were originally populated. A global field will retain the value it contained last time it was closed down in a non-hosted environment (I think that is correctly stated), but it is not a good idea to rely on that fact to store values you want to persist.

• 6. Re: Externally stored container contents vanish.
                    DEC

Yes, they are hosted, but the global values for these particular fields don’t change once they’re entered.  These container fields include the logo of the company using the database, and a document icon that acts as the default image for empty containers.  Perhaps this is why they work in the other solutions, or perhaps it’s something else.  I’ll keep digging, and thanks again for your interest and help : )

• 7. Re: Externally stored container contents vanish.
                      keywords

Re the fact that "the global values for these particular fields don’t change once they’re entered", refer to what I said earlier:  "A global field will retain the value it contained last time it was closed down in a non-hosted environment". I reckon that the values in these fields were already there before the file was  hosted.

In any case, to safeguard for the future you should consider updating the storage system to the standard field + matching global + opening script set up I suggested earlier.

• 8. Re: Externally stored container contents vanish.
                        DEC

Will do, and thanks : )