1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 5:55 AM by mikebeargie

Automatically add firewall rule?

CarlSchwarz

Over the years I've noticed random firewall rules automatically show up in routers.

E.g. some kid will come and start using a computer in the office and all of a sudden there is something like cheat-engine firewall rules added to the actual router. I believe that Skype used to do the same. I've seen various applications automatically make changes to the router.

Does anyone know how this is done?

The reason why I want it: I've made a demo application that is downloadable which is basically a launcher to a cloud hosted filemaker database. I've been running into firewall troubles with some people wanting to use the demo and it would be nice if my installer could auto add the filemaker firewall rule.

• 1. Re: Automatically add firewall rule?
          mikebeargie

I'd think this was some sort of pre-populated rule in the router that is activated when it senses the traffic. EG skype cuts a deal with netgear and whenever skype traffic is sensed, that rule activates automatically.

Having the ability to write a firewall rule to a hardware firewall (router) automatically, as opposed to the OS firewall (software), is highly insecure.