1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 5:57 AM by gdurniak

Link to medical machines

Nehme

Hello,

Is it possible to link Filemaker to other machines (like medical machines: ultrasound, ophtalmologic machine ...)

Could Filemaker import the data from those machines?

Could Filemaker import the pictures from those?

Best regards

• 1. Re: Link to medical machines
          sicosys

Hello Nehme!!!

Integration of filemaker with other technologies depends in a big part  on the machine..

Some times you need some plugins or some hardware to acheve your goal and of course the machine must be capable to import/export the data.

I don't have any experience witht those medical machines, however i've been succesful several times integrating equipment with filemaker.

Can you give an example of type or model of those machines?

Felipe

• 2. Re: Link to medical machines
            BruceHerbach

I saw a demo at Devcon a couple of years back were one of those standalone micro computers was connected to FileMaker through the serial (USB) port.  It was used to control lights to tell people when it was ok to enter a room.  I don't remember what plugins were used,  but the same type of thing could be done with other devices.  So I'm sure it could be done.  I would be a very interesting project.

• 4. Re: Link to medical machines
              Nehme

Thank you for your reply,

In fact, I don't know yet about the machines (I had a call from a user that is interested in linking medical machines to the solution).

What I need to know is the type and model of the machine ...

And how do I know which machine could be linked? Would any info be included in the booklet of the machine?

And how do I know which plugin could work on this machine?

Do you know any plugin that could work on most of the machines?

Sorry for those questions, but I have never done previously any machine link.

Thank you very much for your help.

• 5. Re: Link to medical machines
                Mike_Mitchell

You’ll probably want to contact the plugin manufacturer and the machine manufacturer. Most of the machines, if they implement a serial export, will have a data export protocol / scheme that the manufacturer can give you. The plugins, for the most part, simply allow FileMaker to capture a data stream over the serial (USB, for example) port. They aren’t too picky about what the specifics are, although you might have to configure them as to what to expect.

• 6. Re: Link to medical machines
                  Nehme

Thank you for your help

• 7. Re: Link to medical machines
                    stefan_s

Hi Nehme,

Nehme <noreply@filemaker.com> kirjoitti 6.9.2014 kello 23.24:

Is it possible to link Filemaker to other machines (like medical machines: ultrasound, ophtalmologic machine ...)

Could Filemaker import the data from those machines?

Could Filemaker import the pictures from those?

Yes, this is possible. But you would need to get a lot of information about how the machines actually transfer data.

I have built a solution, where data from blood analyzers are read into the FMP solution and processed further to be inserted into the data flow.

First of all you need the Troi serial plugin, as Mike Mitchell pointed out. And if the customer is on Macs you will need a serial to USB converter.

The "machines" might "talk" in different languages: one machine might be saving files to some hard drive, and then it might be pretty easy, depending on the file format, another machine will just send data directly, and this is where it gets interesting. You need to be able to capture the data into FMP, then send an appropriate answer to the "machine" so that the machine can start sending the actual data, because at first it will just send a code that means "I'm going to start sending, you ready?". And after it gets the correct answer in the correct time, it will send the actual data. After the data has been sent, the "machine" will send a code meaning "Ready. Did you get it?".

This latter type of machine will most probably use a serial interface and this is where the Troi plugin comes in handy.

My customer has 2 analyzers, and they need 2 machines with FMP on them that only captures incoming data from the analyzers and post-processes the data. Looping scripts that just sit and wait for the analyzers to start sending data.

It was quite a challenge to set up initially, but when we got it working, the whole thing is very stable. It has been working from early 2009 now without problems. My customer has even upgraded both analyzers and after some minor tweaks, they have also worked just fine.

So, it is doable, but depending on the type of "machine" and how they transmit their data, it can also be quite challenging.

__

Stefan Schutt, Mouse Up, Finland

• 8. Re: Link to medical machines
                      Nehme

Thank you for your help.

Can you know which language the machine uses, or is it the machine manufacturer who gives you the plugins and the way the machine works?

• 9. Re: Link to medical machines
                        stefan_s

Hi Nehme,

Nehme <noreply@filemaker.com> kirjoitti 7.9.2014 kello 22.34:

Can you know which language the machine uses, or is it the machine manufacturer who gives you the plugins and the way the machine works?

The machine manufacturer tells you how the machine communicates.

The serial plugin comes from Troi.

http://www.troi.com/software/serialplugin.html

HTH

__

Stefan Schutt, Mouse Up, Finland

• 10. Re: Link to medical machines
                          sicosys

Hi Again!!

Every time i have to integrate any piece of hardware to FM i have to talk directly to tech support.

Just a real example is that these days i'm integrating taxi meters in a transportation solution. In order to do that i had to talk to the manufacturer so i could get all the details about protocols, responses and commands to interact with the machine.

As Mike mention, most of the time they provide some type of serial communication so you can read directly from the device, however there are some other methods, but once again the manufacturer will dictate it.

the same solution i mentioned above required to integrate GPS readers, Taxi meters and wireless communications and in all cases i had to do an extensive research.

Just contact the manufacturer and find out.

This is an example of a response from a GPS reader so yo can have a better idea:

________________________________________________________________________

$GPGGA,152953.000,3329.2134,N,11217.0104,W,2,10,0.9,305.5,M,-26.8,M,1.8,0000*47

$GPGLL,3329.2134,N,11217.0104,W,152953.000,A,D*49

$GPGSA,A,3,05,13,07,19,23,11,28,30,08,27,,,1.6,0.9,1.3*33

$GPRMC,152953.000,A,3329.2134,N,11217.0104,W,0.33,215.85,040814,,,D*7C

$GPGGA,152954.000,3329.2134,N,11217.0104,W,2,10,0.9,305.3,M,-26.8,M,1.8,0000*46

$GPGLL,3329.2134,N,11217.0104,W,152954.000,A,D*4E

$GPGSV,3,1,12,07,63,026,37,08,58,349,30,30,52,324,43,28,46,252,32*78

$GPGSV,3,2,12,13,44,154,35,19,38,064,30,10,19,242,,23,18,152,30*7D

$GPGSV,3,3,12,11,18,121,25,27,15,041,23,05,12,292,33,26,04,321,*7C

$GPRMC,152954.000,A,3329.2134,N,11217.0104,W,0.12,164.65,040814,,,D*73

$GPGGA,152955.000,3329.2134,N,11217.0104,W,2,10,0.9,305.3,M,-26.8,M,1.8,0000*47

$GPGLL,3329.2134,N,11217.0104,W,152955.000,A,D*4F

$GPRMC,152955.000,A,3329.2134,N,11217.0104,W,0.27,201.91,040814,,,D*7F

$GPGGA,152956.000,3329.2134,N,11217.0104,W,2,10,0.9,304.9,M,-26.8,M,2.8,0000*4C

$GPGLL,3329.2134,N,11217.0104,W,152956.000,A,D*4C

$GPRMC,152956.000,A,3329.2134,N,11217.0104,W,0.21,83.79,040814,,,D*44

$GPGGA,152957.000,3329.2134,N,11217.0103,W,2,09,1.0,304.9,M,-26.8,M,3.8,0000*4B

$GPGLL,3329.2134,N,11217.0103,W,152957.000,A,D*4A

______________________________________________________________________________

The red lines contain the information i need and once it is substracted it can be used as you wish.

As you can see, the response is not necesarily a language .... is more like a protocol.

Felipe

• 11. Re: Link to medical machines
                            Nehme

Ok thanks

This seems not too easy and needs lots of practice, especially for the first time.

• 12. Re: Link to medical machines
                              lkeyes

hi....haven't got a lot to add to the suggestions above (troi plugin to read a serial port...etc.) but,  I did an "expert system"  that took data from a DEXA bone density scanning machine, and combined the results from the bone scan with a lot of additional lifestyle questionaire data to predict the likelyhood that a person would suffer a bone fracture from osteoporosis. Output was done as a recommendation letter to the physician and the another letter to patient, reporting the results of the scan, and including recommendations for improving their chances of reducing fractures. 

If I recall correctly the  the scanner actually output its data as an ASCII data file, which we imported into the database to combine with the the quesionaire data. In our case the manufacturer of the DEXA scanner (GE, I think, which had bought the company), had excellent documentation and even telephone support as we built and tested the application. 

So, I'd suggest you get as much specific information about regarding the machine itself as possible.

Some machines also may have something like a LabView (from National Instruments) interface, which would also provide the ability to extract data for further processing.

You might also consider an intermediate "reader" kind of box based on the Arduino or Rapsberry Pi  that could do the actual data acquisition and maybe some translation before sending the massaged data on to your FileMaker application. 

I think FileMaker is probably the least of all the problems...once the data is in FM you can, of course, do an awful lot. 

Would love to hear more about your applications, and progress as you work through the development.  I love this kind of work, and it is one of the most satisfying kinds of programming to get it up and running. 

Best wishes,

---- Larry

• 13. Re: Link to medical machines
                                Nehme

Thank you for your help.

I will let you know about the progress

• 14. Re: Link to medical machines
                                  PowerSlave

If you are talking devices like MRI's , xray machines and ultrasounds , then the DICOM protocol is what you are after. Every manufacturer has their own version of it, so you may have a huge task ahead of you.

Please check http://dicom.nema.org/ for more info.

1 2 Previous Next