7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2014 7:40 PM by rsmellette

Layouts Within Portals

rsmellette

I'm coming from MS Access, which is a frustrating change, especially as I'm completely self-taught.

In Access it is possible to imbed one layout in another, much the way Portals are done in FMP, but with Access the Child Layout can be a Form or a Table. Is there anyway to make the table inside a portal into a Layout?

I think I know the answer, but just want to confirm.

Thanks,

Robert

• 1. Re: Layouts Within Portals
          ibrahim_bittar

Hi Robert

You can create a one-row portal, big enough to show a kind of form view. Depending on what you want you can add a key field and a small script to show different related records.

See the attached example, hope this helps.

Regards

Ibrahim

• 2. Re: Layouts Within Portals
            rsmellette

That doesn't help with something like:

Parent Table (One):  Name, Address, E-mail 

Child Table (Many):  Film submission, Run Time, Summary, etc. (10 other fields, some requiring paragraphs)

I want the user to fill in their contact information, then be able to do several submissions under their name.

• 3. Re: Layouts Within Portals
              BowdenData

Attached sample file from a blog posting by Soliant consulting. It was created for either FMP10 or FMP11 - not sure. I mention this because some of the techniques for highlighting portal rows could likely be improved using FMP13 features and/or techniques. I just did a simple open/convert using FMP13.

I don't think this is exactly what you are looking for, but it might give you some ideas for presenting Parent Data, Related Child Data and selected Child Details.

Doug

• 4. Re: Layouts Within Portals
                ibrahim_bittar

Can you send a screenshot of what you want to do?, it will be easier to figure it out.

• 5. Re: Layouts Within Portals
                  jbrown

I would set this up to be a layout on the user table in which the user could find his or her name/record. They go to this layout. By a script or a find, the user ends up on their own record.

Below those fields, I'd create a set of global fields that will take the data for the submissions I'd also create a "submit" button. This button takes all the information from the global submission fields and writes it to a new record in the child table. Those submitted records could then populate inside a portal on the same layout for later viewing.

This is a scripted creation of a record in a child table and is a fairly standard way of creating records in a child table based on the parent layout. It allows for the user to make changes all he/she wants to the data before it is submitted, and obviously allows for the cancelation of the information to be submitted.

• 6. Re: Layouts Within Portals
                    Mike Duncan

Hi Robert,

In Access you have subforms, which let you display the contents of a layout (or form) in another layout/form. FileMaker doesn't allow you to do this natively, would be nice if it did...please make a feature request

The closest I've come to doing this is using the web viewer to display what I want, even though it's not really showing the contents from another layout. I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish, if portals get you close enough or not. For what I wanted, it didn't really involve records at all.

Mike

• 7. Re: Layouts Within Portals
                      rsmellette

Thanks everyone.  I ended up adding a button to the parent layout that opens a related child layout and putting enough parent info in the header as a reference.  That accomplishes the same thing.