5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2014 3:51 PM by Mike_Mitchell

Editable Conditional Value List

ramirezp6856

Alrighty alright! I have a new issue concerning editable conditional value lists.

Currently, I have a conditional value list with the same structure as the one used in this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C62NlAR8vY

This method is efficient, however I would like the drop down menu to give the user an edit option.

Essientially, I would like the user to be able to edit the drop down but not update the "spreadsheet".

The edit function would act as a suggestion to me so I then could go back in and update/consolidate the "spreadsheet" values.

I noticed when a field gets it's values from a value list the drop down gives the user the ability to edit.

Some solutions even have a break that separates the developer's values and the user's values.

Maybe I have to write a script? If so please have patience with me. I have JAVA as a background so I am familiar with coding.

• 1. Re: Editable Conditional Value List
          jbrown

I don't think there is a way to edit a value list that comes from a table.

If I was doing this, I think I'd have an "edit list" button next to the value list that writes the value that the user wants to put in into the table. This process would not actually put it into the value list until the admin had a chance to review it, but would allow the value to be ENTERED INTO THE FIELD, essentially ignoring the values in the value list. You could actually, with a script step "Set Field" enter a completely different value into that field.

This process would also store this value in a table that would be for my review.

I think that's what I would do in this case.

• 2. Re: Editable Conditional Value List
            ramirezp6856

Alright, from what I understand I am going to make a suggestion_value table dependent upon an "edit list" button. The only thing that concerns me is, will the user be able to view the developer's values and suggested values within the same drop down? If not, this is still a viable option.

• 3. Re: Editable Conditional Value List
              jbrown

If the value list is based on table A and the added values go into table B (the suggestion_value table) users will not see those values in table B since B Is not part of the relationship for the value list set. Only the user who entered the unique value will see that value in the field of the current record. Note the same user will not see that new value in any other record since that value is not actually in the table from which the value list comes

Sent from my iPhone

• 4. Re: Editable Conditional Value List
                ramirezp6856

Thank you for clarifying that. Basically, its a suggestion box. This will do.

• 5. Re: Editable Conditional Value List
                  Mike_Mitchell

"If I was doing this, I think I'd have an "edit list" button next to the value list that writes the value that the user wants to put in into the table."

Another option would be to put a value in the developer's table that says, "Edit List" and then use a Script Trigger to launch a dialog that allows the user to put in a new value. That value could then be inserted in the "to be approved" table, along with a message to the user that his submission is under review.