5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 2:41 PM by Stephen Huston

Changing theme colors

twsopp@gmail.com

I have customized a theme with a specific color palette. But I not be able to change then colors of the calendar icon, arrow, or portal line. I am sure there is a simple solution that I have just missed, but would love some help.

• 1. Re: Changing theme colors
          steveromig

twsopp@gmail.com wrote:

I have customized a theme with a specific color palette. But I not be able to change then colors of the calendar icon, arrow, or portal line. I am sure there is a simple solution that I have just missed, but would love some help.

You are unable to change the style of a calendar icon or arrow (assuming you are referring to arrow for a drop down list for example.)

Not sure what you mean by a portal line.  If you mean a Portal Row, you can modify both the "Primary" row and the "Alternate" row through the Inspector.  Click on the portal in Layout mode, and on the APPEARANCE tab you can switch from "Portal" to "Portal Row" and from there you can choose from "Primary", "Alternate", "Active", "Hover" or "Pressed".

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Changing theme colors
            twsopp@gmail.com

Then may I suggest that FM enable that to be chaned in styles. 

• 3. Re: Changing theme colors
              steveromig

Duly noted!

And in the future you can always submit a feature request here...

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Changing theme colors
                mark_scott

Hi twsopp,

As you noted and Steve confirmed, there are a number of formatting properties in the underlying CSS that are not yet exposed in the Inspector. Since the introduction of themes with FM 12, they've added padding and outer/inner shadows in the FM 13 release. That said, you may be able to get a bit of customization using the copy/paste styling buttons in the Inspector. Certainly you can copy/paste formatting between states within an object (the lower pair of buttons) and might achieve something that suits your theme better just by doing that. (I made extensive use of that capability in a theme I recently developed.) Copying formatting between different themes, otoh, is a bit iffier and can yield unexpected results. For that reason, FM generally recommends against cross-theme copy/paste, but YMMV. Lastly, although it's unlikely to help with the colors of the drop-down icons, you can actually copy/paste formatting within a style, but between different object types. Again, results may be unexpected, so be ready to revert if you don't get what you want.

hth,

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Changing theme colors
                  Stephen Huston

The surprises in cross-theme style copying is that the themes themselves are intended to use CSS. The Cascading part of CSS means that, in many cases, a specific object's style depends in part on higher-ranked styles which are inherited from the Theme. So if a button style inherits its text color from the main Theme, and you paste just the button style onto an object in another theme, its text color may not be what was expected.

That kind of inherited/cascading value might theoretically happen with any part of the styling of any object, depending on the specifics of it's native Theme.