5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 8:45 AM by Mike Duncan

Education

jamisonhill

I am able to find several resources and training through individual companies for FileMaker. These are excellent resources. The company I work for has a tuition reimbursement program, but it's limited to university level organizations. Does anyone know of a university level program that includes FileMaker as a learning option?

• 1. Re: Education
          mikebeargie

No, I know of a few universities that use FileMaker solutions, but none that teach it. It's not really fit for college level classes since it's so singularly focused (as opposed to something like C++ programming, which lays a foundation for general programming on quite a few platforms).

There's a massive benefit to your understanding of development in general if you can take a foundation course. Web programming (html/css/php/etc..) or database programming (SQL/etc..) would all benefit your understanding of concepts that can be applied to FileMaker.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Education
            ariley

I agree with Mike, if your job reimburses you, take any basic programming class. Just make sure it's a good school.

And then take some FileMaker tutoring individually or in a class setting on your own. Or read the FileMaker Training Series.

Best regards,

Agnes Riley

www.zerobluetech.com

877 917-9079

Sent from my iPhone

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Education
              jamisonhill

You've validated some assumptions I had already made.  Great ideas, and I'm on my way to work on some of these suggestions for next semester.  I really prefer to learn with specialized training, not in the classroom, but getting a little more well rounded with related courses makes a lot of sense.  Thanks.

• 4. Re: Education
                beverly

Would that they could. It's time to start a movement on campuses to have user groups, mini-cons and the like to start training students on such a useful tool!

-- sent from myPhone --

Beverly Voth

--

• 5. Re: Education
                  Mike Duncan

Not sure if this one applies:

https://continue.utah.edu/edtech/class/edtec_465_filemaker_pro_level_1

I think I recall there being some mention of this topic at devcon, getting FM taught in classes would also help in it's adoption by more companies.