13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2014 2:01 AM by -den-

Windows 8 and send email in FM 13

wrwaugh

I have a situation wherein a script sends mail via the client’s default mail account. Works great except when the client is using Outlook and Windows 8. What happens is an Outlook mail window opens to allow editing/drafting of the email ( this is good), but the FileMaker window is rendered blank until the email is sent.

So the user cannot see or access any information in FileMaker which he needs to refer to when drafting the email.

Have any of you seen this behavior before or know of a way around it?

Riley Waugh

• 1. Re: Windows 8 and send email in FM 13
          monkeybreadsoftware

use smtp sending instead?

• 2. Re: Windows 8 and send email in FM 13
            wrwaugh

Other issues with SMTP (client side).  However, I think the problem might be a Filemaker Error that I did not trap for, so the filemaker application was in a ‘paused’ state waiting for a error resolution but showed no indication of that on the screen.  I am walking through script debugger now and testing it out.

Riley Waugh

riley.waugh@gmail.com

• 3. Re: Windows 8 and send email in FM 13
              smith7180

I have experienced the same behavior this week.  I was actually surprised that Filemaker was able to 'take over' outlook like that (ie you can't do anything else in outlook till you send or cancel the message).

• 4. Re: Windows 8 and send email in FM 13
                keywords

Re: "you can't do anything else in outlook till you send or cancel the message". This sounds more like Outlook locking up the OS, rather than FM "taking over" Outlook. Can you not toggle between applications?

• 5. Re: Windows 8 and send email in FM 13
                  smith7180

Let me preface by saying I know nothing about OS's.  I can only describe my experience and don't mean to assign blame/reasoning.  That being said, with outlook 2013 in windows 8.1 when I send via client the following happens:

• If outlook was not open when the email via client script was run:
                    • An outlook compose email window is opened
                    • It is on top of the filemaker application. 
                      • The filemaker application window cannot be made active
                      • If the filemaker icon or window is left clicked, the outlook message blinks
                    • The outlook message window may be resized and moved, but not minimized (neither via clicking the minimize button nor via win-M
                    • If I use the jump list to try and open new outlook windows I get the following message:
                      • "A dialog box is open.  Close it and try again"
                    • I am able to select other programs on the task bar and use other shorcuts like win-D, 'aero' peek, etc...
                    • In the notifaction area pop up in bottom right i get and outlook icon, but with a 'gear' on it. (never seen that before)
                      • Hovering over it give me pop up-

• "Another program is using outlook. To disconnect programs and exit outlook, click the outlook icon and then click exit now"

• If outlook was open at the time the script ran I have the same behavior with the following exception:
                    • The notifcation area icon is normal (ie it does not have the 'gear' overlay and message about another program using outlook.

Again, it is only filemaker and outlook that are locked- everything else is normal. 

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Windows 8 and send email in FM 13
                    wrwaugh

that is my experience… I don;t really care what work-around someone comes up with, but I need my client to be able to initiate an email from FileMaker and then, in Outlook, be able to add photos, etc while still being able to see FileMaker.

Riley Waugh

riley.waugh@gmail.com

• 7. Re: Windows 8 and send email in FM 13
                      keywords

That is very different from behaviour on a Mac. If you send mail via email client (on a Mac this is usually, and in my case, Mail) a New Message window pops open over the FM window, but you can easily move it aside and toggle between the two, or any other windows curently open for that matter. The only difference if Mail is not already running is that it first opens a Viewer window before the New Message window.

So it looks like a WindowsOS/Outlook issue to me—although … smith7180 says "it is only filemaker and outlook that are locked- everything else is normal", so maybe it has something to do with how FM interacts with these.

Whatever the cause you may not be able to overcome that, but you could build an FM procedure to fully compose emails within FM on a layout that mirrors an email message layout and then send via SMTP.

• 8. Re: Windows 8 and send email in FM 13
                        smith7180

Thanks for the reply keywords.  Everything works beautifully on mac .  That's what I developed on and I'm lucky to be servicing one of the few industries that is predominantly OSX. 

I actually already implemented the system you suggested for smtp.  My issue (as outlined in another thread where I received some great replies) then becomes user accounts.  If mail is being sent via client- the client handles all the tricky password and security stuff.  If it's being sent via SMTP- the question is how do I make sure that when a user logs on that it sends from his/her email?  Many clients use web mail, and so I set up a link between accounts and 'preference' records that will populate the SMTP stuff correctly depending on what user is logged in.  But now I'm storing the passwords in the database .  A user suggested a third party SMTP service like Mandrill, but my clients are small businesses (and not particularly tech savvy) so that's not what they want to hear...

• 9. Re: Windows 8 and send email in FM 13
                          danielmarc

You could try Open URL using mailto. Something like below. If outlook is the email client it should open in outlook and not lock up FM like send mail.

Open URL [ No dialog; "mailto:user@email.com?subject=insertsubject&body=insertbody"

• 10. Re: Windows 8 and send email in FM 13
                            wrwaugh

Tried the open URL and had the same result.

As for using SMTP, the problem is that the client wants to have the email (With the contact provided by FileMaker database) available to add other files, photos, etc from his computer.  We could do that in FileMaker without much problem it it were not a situation wherein we have several users accessing the database from several different computers, each with their own user created filing systems.

Riley Waugh

riley.waugh@gmail.com

• 11. Re: Windows 8 and send email in FM 13
                              smith7180

wrwaugh wrote:

to add other files, photos, etc from his computer.  We could do that in FileMaker without much problem

To be clear though- There's no way to add more than one file to an email except via a client or plug-in right?  I'd love to know if I misunderstood that point.

• 12. Re: Windows 8 and send email in FM 13
                                monkeybreadsoftware

Have you seen my blog entry?

http://www.mbsplugins.de/archive/2014-09-29/Sending_Email_with_FileMaker_v

you could email via plugin from FileMaker and include attachments.

Even if user wants to add more files, you can use plugin function to show an open dialog to select files and add them by path.

• 13. Re: Windows 8 and send email in FM 13
                                  -den-

unfortunately, 1 email = 1 atttachment max