6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2014 8:55 AM by beverly

FMS 13 - 2 Machine Deployement

dgurusamy

I have 2 machines, one is fms 13 installed and another machine is linux box with apache..

Here, I have stopping point.. How actually i can install web publishing engine and other things with Linux box.. How do configure as master and worker machine..

is there any document , that i can follow the steps.. or anyone having good experience.. pls help me out...

Many Thanks !!

• 1. Re: FMS 13 - 2 Machine Deployement
          mikebeargie

FMS13 is not compatible with Linux.

You could run Linux inside of a VM on a Windows 2012 Server box, or run something like WAMP or WinLAMP to install the LAMP stack if you need on Windows OS, but you won't be running FMS on Linux.

The standard recommendation is to dedicate your second machine specifically for web publishing, so Linux shouldn't even be a consideration.

Why the need for Linux? What are you trying to do that isn't FileMaker?

• 2. Re: FMS 13 - 2 Machine Deployement
            dgurusamy

I'm trying to develop the website by using the fm as backend..

So, Here FM server is DB server and Linux box is web server.. and apache with php are installed with Linux machine.

• 3. Re: FMS 13 - 2 Machine Deployement
              mikebeargie

Well if you can't run your web server on windows OS, then you won't be able to use two-machine deployment.

Given the FileMaker Web Publishing Engine's needs in terms of Apache rules, DNS, and other bindings, I wouldn't try and have the two roles be on the same server.

You might just want to invest in better hardware for your main machine and keep it as a single-machine deployment. Especially if you don't plan to use WebDirect.

• 4. Re: FMS 13 - 2 Machine Deployement
                beverly

There was a big discussion of this on other listservs.

Do NOT install any FMS components on the Linux machine (as you cannot). Just make the calls to the FMS from PHP (presumably) on the Web Server machine. If however, you plan Web Direct calls, these must be to the FMS.

beverly

• 5. Re: FMS 13 - 2 Machine Deployement
                  JoelShapiro

To follow on from Beverly, if you won't need WebDirect, you can absolutely use a linux machine to be the web server, but you need to install FMS as a one-machine deployment (so the WPE etc all go onto the DB server).  You don't put any FileMaker components onto the web server.  Then in your php, you just point to the DB server (actually pointing to the WPE) when you call the PHP API, e.g.

$fm->setProperty('hostspec', 'http://10.0.1.22');

This setup -- a one-machine FMS box with a separate 'vanilla' web server -- is actually not that uncommon, although it is never mentioned in any FileMaker materials (as far as I know).

Just remember that if you will ever want to use WebDirect, you'll need to follow FMI's standard two-machine deployment instructions.

HTH,

-Joel

• 6. Re: FMS 13 - 2 Machine Deployement
                    beverly

This is a good method when using ODBC for web publishing FMP. Also, not that uncommon, although never mentioned (except by me, that I know!) This can be any web application on the Web Server that uses ODBC, including PHP.

Beverly

This setup -- a one-machine FMS box with a separate 'vanilla' web server -- is actually not that uncommon, although it is never mentioned in any FileMaker materials (as far as I know).