2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2014 9:41 PM by keywords

Scripting for portals

nsmith9110@gmail.com

I am working on a program for a mortgage company and need a way to manage the many documetns they handle.

The way it is set up is a portal will show on a main page for someone to view.

I have all the individual documents separated into groups by category.

You then choose the document group you want to add from a drop down list and it fills the portal with the documents. However; there is no demarcation between groups so it just looks like a massive, overwhelming list.

Now my question is this, is there any way to write a script that would allow me to have a tab viewer and, when I use the script to add the document groups, create a new tab and populate a portal on that tab with those documents? That way it would work more like a folder of documents as opposed to a list.

I've thought about creating the tab viewer with multiple tabs and portals already programmed into it but making them invisible, then as they add more and more groups I would have my script make those tabs visible and specify the documents to populate that portal but it seems very clunky.

Does anyone have a better idea for the script or a better way to categorize these things? Or have advice as to wether or not I should even add this function?

• 1. Re: Scripting for portals
          erolst

I'd rather suggest using a single portal that display documents from a relationship filtered by group(s). The question then would be how to present the user with a selection list. There are a number of ways, some of which could even give you “tabs” …

You could …

… use a value list with your groups to set a selector match field, e.g. via a popup, or as a checkbox set to select multiple groups via multi-line key.

… create a table to hold your existing groups (and add new ones) and display them in a portal via a Cartesian relationship. Use Conditional Formatting to give visual feedback as to the current selection(s).

… simulate tabs by displaying a horizontal row of single-row portals (with incrementing initial row); adding a new group to your groups table would automatically create a new "tab”, provided the (invisible) portal is already in place.

… do this with a (calculated, set) repetition field instead.

… present a list of your groups as links in a Web Viewer (and style them in a “tabbish” way ); use the fmp:/ protocol to trigger a script in the database.

[ probably more ]

• 2. Re: Scripting for portals
            keywords

Adding to erolst's lists:

… if you are using FM13 you might create the right sort of effect using Slide Panel objects with varying visibility conditions