5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2014 1:03 AM by johnbuckingham

HTTP Status 404 error in container fields with PDF content - FM12

johnbuckingham

Today started well. Then, about 11:00am, a client called and said that some PDFs were not displaying properly. I looked 'over his shoulder' (vnc) and saw what he described with some containers looking OK & others showing the error (see attachment), but as we scrolled through records, the situation worsened to the point that we could no longer find any records displaying PDFs properly. All other filetypes, where the display is usually as document icon, appeared fine - just PDFs...

I took down the server and 'recovered' all the files. No errors were reported.

No change on re-loading and re-enabling FMServer 12 (on OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks)

I uninstalled the FMS12 and after restart, did a fresh install & uploaded the files; no change in content visibility.

It's now 4pm, the company is at a standstill and no orders can be dispatched so I left the system online and started looking at the front end.

On one of the layouts where the problem was visible, I changed the container field's optimisation from 'Interactive' to 'Images' and browsed to find that the file content is being displayed properly. Not 'as required', but 'properly'.

It was the work of three minutes to resolve for all layouts, for the time being. But they do want the interactive optimisation.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what switches may need to be thrown to get this back 'as required'.

And where's the nearest sympathetic publican?

• 1. Re: HTTP Status 404 error in container fields with PDF content - FM12
          Stephen Huston

Is every bit of the URL's directory-levels accessible to the FMServer's permissions? If not, that may cause the path to fail.

It appears you are storing references as URLs rather than using External Secure Storage of actual container data. Changing your container storage method might resolve this.

[Sorry, don't know your location for recommending a local sympathetic publican. ]

• 2. Re: HTTP Status 404 error in container fields with PDF content - FM12
            johnbuckingham

Hi Stephen, and thanks for your time...

All the FM files are on an external Thunderbolt 2 drive (using Cupertino Bongo) and permissions are ignored on that volume. So, yes, I think that all of the directory levels are accessible to the FMServer's permissions. Unless I misunderstood the point... The weird bit was that everything was working fine first thing and it was like something from The Matrix the way the images transmogrified into error messages over a period of about 10 minutes.

Re: ESS; I am so keen to use this functionality; the 26GB .fmp12 file is about 23GB images and when I did a test run of ESS, the speed was phenomenal. But loads of images went '<<missing>>>'; so I need to understand more about that before I commit to the change: It will also make backing up so much faster AND easier to get to the files in the event of a problem with FileMaker (using Open Storage - but I think that may be the key to missing items: Same filenames in different records, maybe?)

Am near Maidstone, Kent, UK...

JB

• 3. Re: HTTP Status 404 error in container fields with PDF content - FM12
              Stephen Huston

johnbuckingham wrote:

All the FM files are on an external Thunderbolt 2 drive (using Cupertino Bongo) and permissions are ignored on that volume.... everything was working fine first thing and it was like something from The Matrix the way the images trasmogrified into error messages over a period of about 10 minutes.

Re: ESS; I am so keen to use this functionality; the 26GB .fmp12 file is about 23GB images and when I did a test run of ESS, the speed was phenomenal. But loads of images went '<<missing>>>'; so I need to understand more about that before I commit to the change: It will also make backing up so much faster AND easier to get to the files in the event of a problem with FileMaker (using Open Storage - but I think that may be the key to missing items: Same filenames in different records, maybe?)

Am near Maidstone, Kent, UK.

Some thoughts (not solid facts):

Using an external drive can be problematic if the permissions are not expressly stated for FMServer, so try setting those anyway.

Having URLs to external files (not external storage) makes these links somthing like unstored calcs which need would need to update and re-read/cache the file data when a record or layout changes. This is going to be much worse in performance that actual FM-storage, and may be putting too much demand on the Server to keep the info available for refreshes.

Re External Storage of container data:

• If you switch to External container storage, you need to imput the PDFs via the FM interface (scripting is OK to do this), rather than using URLs. Container data must placed into the external storage via the FM interface to the fields, not via file manipulation by any user at the directory or OS levels.
              • Open storage is not advantageous for Served files; use Secure External Storage for container data. No user should ever have access to this location anyway. Open storage increases the risk of "tampered data" errors if ANYthing ever touches the storage location.
              • The files could be inserted to the fields via imports, insertPicture looping script steps (possibly using the URL info?), or even via SetField is a URL calcfield is working at the time.

Sorry, I'm half a world away from your nearest publican. Stock up in advance when you prepare to tackle this change.

• 4. Re: HTTP Status 404 error in container fields with PDF content - FM12
                JimmainSolutions

I'm sorry if this is off topic, but it's driving me nuts. What on earth is a "Thunderbolt 2 drive (using Cupertino Bongo)"?

• 5. Re: HTTP Status 404 error in container fields with PDF content - FM12
                  johnbuckingham

Sorry, I was being way too colloquial.

We call the new Apple Mac Pro a 'Cupertino Bongo'. And it has a Thunderbolt 2 interface for real fast transfers so its hooked up to a Promise Pegasus 2 RAID. Amazing performance...

And a huge 'up' to James Wesolowski of Colibri Solutions for posting this 'how to' article in this regard: http://www.colibrisolutions.com/2014/03/06/using-filemaker-server-on-the-new-mac-pro-–-our-first-impressions/